Lipid-rich residual bodies in human myometrium: qualitative observations.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUterine leiomyomata and histologically normal myometrium were examined by light and electron microscopy. All myometrial samples contained smooth muscle cells with distinctive cytoplasmic inclusions located at the nuclear poles. These were seen in only one case in routine paraffin wax sections, where they appeared as clear vacuoles, but they were more obvious in epoxy resin sections stained with toluidine blue. Staining with Oil Red O and for acid phosphatase was positive at the site of the vacuoles. In ultrathin sections, these structures possessed a single membrane and contained abundant lipid droplets, with a sparse, coarsely granular matrix. They were designated as lipid-rich residual bodies. Such organelles were all but absent from leiomyomata. Lipid-rich residual bodies with the features described here have not been studied in detail before in smooth muscle cells of the human myometrium. The possibility that they arise from the cyclical stimulation of lipid synthesis by ovarian hormones is discussed.
CitationLipid-rich residual bodies in human myometrium: qualitative observations. 1991, 23 (4):585-94 J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Submicroscopic Cytology and Pathology
- Lipid-rich residual bodies and cathepsin D in the human uterus: ultrastructural and quantitative comparison between normal myometrium and leiomyoma.
- Authors: Yamazaki K, Yakumaru K, Eyden BP
- Issue date: 1993 Jul
- Cytoskeletal filaments in the smooth muscle cells of uterine leiomyomata and myometrium: an ultrastructural and immunohistochemical analysis.
- Authors: Eyden BP, Hale RJ, Richmond I, Buckley CH
- Issue date: 1992
- Ultrastructural study of cultured smooth muscle cells from uterine leiomyoma and myometrium under the influence of sex steroids.
- Authors: Kawaguchi K, Fujii S, Konishi I, Okamura H, Mori T
- Issue date: 1985 May
- Vascular structure of outer myometrial uterine leiomyomata - a preliminary SEM and immunohistochemical study.
- Authors: Bereza T, Skrzat J, Szczepanski W, Mitus J, Tomaszewski K, Depukat P
- Issue date: 2013
- Leiomyoblastoma of the uterus: an immunohistochemical and electron microscopic study of distinctive tumours with immature smooth muscle cell differentiation mimicking fetal uterine myocytes.
- Authors: Watanabe K, Ogura G, Suzuki T
- Issue date: 2003 Apr