The value of anticarcinoembryonic antigen, human milk factor globulin, and antikeratin antibodies in differentiating mesothelioma from lung carcinoma.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, North Lonsdale Hospital, Barrow-in-Furness.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMonoclonal anticarcinoembryonic antigen (antiCEA), human milk factor globulin (HMFG2), and antikeratin antibodies were assessed for their value in the differential diagnosis of pleural mesothelioma (53 cases) and carcinoma of the lung (60 cases) in material from necropsies. In 40 of the cases pleural biopsies were also studied in the same manner. AntiCEA was found to be the best discriminating antibody for most types of mesothelioma; HMFG2 was slightly less valuable but a useful additional tool. Antikeratin was the least useful. For both antiCEA and HMFG2 antibodies, however, the proportion of carcinomas staining was smaller than in previous studies and this, combined with the positive staining of some mesotheliomas, reduces the value of the reactions in the individual case. Medical panels adjudicating compensation claims should not use these reactions as the sole criteria in deciding the origin of the tumours in these cases.
CitationThe value of anticarcinoembryonic antigen, human milk factor globulin, and antikeratin antibodies in differentiating mesothelioma from lung carcinoma. 1991, 48 (1):34-7 Br J Ind Med
JournalBritish Journal of Industrial Medicine
- Antigenic phenotype of malignant mesotheliomas and pulmonary adenocarcinomas. An immunohistologic analysis demonstrating the value of Leu M1 antigen.
- Authors: Sheibani K, Battifora H, Burke JS
- Issue date: 1986 May
- Value of the MOC-31 monoclonal antibody in differentiating epithelial pleural mesothelioma from lung adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Ordóñez NG
- Issue date: 1998 Feb
- Immunohistological staining of reactive mesothelium, mesothelioma, and lung carcinoma with a panel of monoclonal antibodies.
- Authors: Ghosh AK, Gatter KC, Dunnill MS, Mason DY
- Issue date: 1987 Jan
- Diagnostic value of CYFRA 21-1 tumor marker and CEA in pleural effusion due to mesothelioma.
- Authors: Paganuzzi M, Onetto M, Marroni P, Filiberti R, Tassara E, Parodi S, Felletti R
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Immunocytological staining reactions of anti-carcinoembryonic antigen, Ca, and anti-human milk fat globule monoclonal antibodies on benign and malignant exfoliated mesothelial cells.
- Authors: Ghosh AK, Butler EB
- Issue date: 1987 Dec