Cancer risk in second degree relatives of children with soft tissue sarcoma.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe risk of cancer in the second degree relatives of a population-based series of children with soft tissue sarcoma was studied in relation to (i) various characteristics in these relatives, (ii) certain clinical features in the index children previously identified as risk factors for cancer in their first degree relatives. Overall there was a non-significant deficit of cancers in the second degree relatives (RR = 0.88) and cancer risk was unrelated to type or site of cancer, type of relative, or to risk factors in the index case. The findings indicate that although the families investigated may include a proportion with the Li-Fraumeni cancer family syndrome, the increased cancer risk already reported in the first degree relatives does not extent to second degree relatives in general.
CitationCancer risk in second degree relatives of children with soft tissue sarcoma. 1991, 63 (6):959-62 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Accuracy of family history of cancer obtained through interviews with relatives of patients with childhood sarcoma.
- Authors: Bondy ML, Strom SS, Colopy MW, Brown BW, Strong LC
- Issue date: 1994 Jan
- Li-Fraumeni syndrome in pediatric patients with soft tissue sarcoma or osteosarcoma.
- Authors: Carnevale A, Lieberman E, Cárdenas R
- Issue date: 1997 Autumn
- Cancer in relatives of survivors of childhood sarcoma.
- Authors: Burke E, Li FP, Janov AJ, Batter S, Grier H, Goorin A
- Issue date: 1991 Mar 1
- Population-based cohort investigations of the risk for malignant tumors in first-degree relatives and wives of men with breast cancer.
- Authors: Olsson H, Andersson H, Johansson O, Möller TR, Kristoffersson U, Wenngren E
- Issue date: 1993 Feb 15
- Cancer in the families of children with soft tissue sarcoma.
- Authors: Birch JM, Hartley AL, Blair V, Kelsey AM, Harris M, Teare MD, Jones PH
- Issue date: 1990 Nov 15