Fludarabine phosphate for the treatment of low grade lymphoid malignancy.
AuthorsWhelan, J S
Davis, C L
Ranson, Malcolm R
Smith, O P
Mehta, A B
Rohatiner, A Z
Lister, T A
AffiliationICRF Department of Medical Oncology, St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThirty-four patients with previously treated, advanced, low grade NHL were treated with Fludarabine, a deamination-resistant analogue of adenosine arabinoside, at a dose of 25 mg m-2 intravenously, daily for 5 days (median number of cycles = 3, range 1-10). Complete remission (CR) was achieved in six and partial remission (PR) in a further seven. Overall, responses were seen in 11/23 patients (48%) with follicular lymphoma and in 2/11 (18%) with low grade, diffuse NHL. Fifteen patients with previously treated CLL and one patient with prolymphocytic leukaemia (PLL) were also treated as above (median no. of cycles = 3, range 1-6). A partial response was seen in three of the 11 evaluable patients with CLL and CR was achieved in the patient with PLL. There were four deaths due to infection and 19 further episodes requiring admission to hospital. No other significant toxicity was reported in a total of 164 cycles of Fludarabine. This agent is active in advanced low grade lymphoid malignancy. Further studies are required to assess its role in newly diagnosed patients.
CitationFludarabine phosphate for the treatment of low grade lymphoid malignancy. 1991, 64 (1):120-3 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- [Treatment with fludarabine of lymphoid neoplasms with low grade malignity resistant to treatment or in relapse].
- Authors: Briones J, Montserrat E, Urbano-Ispizua A, Esteve J, Colomer D, López-Guillermo A, Bosch F, Hadjieu E, Rozman C
- Issue date: 1996 Jun 15
- Rituximab: a review of its use in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Authors: Plosker GL, Figgitt DP
- Issue date: 2003
- Clinical experience with fludarabine and its immunosuppressive effects in pretreated chronic lymphocytic leukemias and low-grade lymphomas.
- Authors: Fenchel K, Bergmann L, Wijermans P, Engert A, Pralle H, Mitrou PS, Diehl V, Hoelzer D
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Fludarabine in lymphoproliferative disorders: the Royal Marsden Hospital experience.
- Authors: O'Brien ME, Matutes E, Cunningham D, Hill M, Emmett E, Ellis PA, Milan S, Hickish T, Mercieca J, Catovsky D
- Issue date: 1994
- Activity of fludarabine in refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia and low grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma--the Jerusalem experience.
- Authors: Gillis S, Dann EJ, Cass Y, Rochlemer RR, Polliack A
- Issue date: 1994 Sep