AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe 'Workshop on Growth Factors' which took place at the Lugano Lymphoma Conference on June 8, 1990, included a presentation by Michael Sporn on the concept that loss of inhibitory control mechanisms may be important in the development and growth of human cancer. Examples illustrating this were taken from current experimental biology research into transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) interactions. Brian Durie presented recent data on the biology of interleukin-6 (IL-6) and its putative role in plasma cell diseases. These studies have culminated in the first clinical study of the role of an antibody to a growth factor as therapy for a human cancer (anti-IL-6 antibody as therapy for patients with myeloma). Derek Crowther presented data concerning the current clinical role of the haematopoietic growth factors in patients undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. Recent clinical research has established the role of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) in improving the safety of high-dose or accelerated chemotherapy, and their use is associated with enhanced neutrophil recovery following ablative therapy and bone marrow rescue. This session was followed by the presentation of three papers concerning the use of G-CSF and GM-CSF in association with chemotherapy for patients with malignant lymphoma.
CitationWorkshop on growth factors. 1991, 2 Suppl 2:207-11 Ann. Oncol
JournalAnnals of Oncology
- Modulation of human cord blood progenitor cell growth by recombinant human interleukin 3 (IL-3), IL-6, granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) and stem cell factor (SCF) in serum-supplemented and serum-free medium.
- Authors: De Bruyn C, Delforge A, Bron D, Ley P, de Hemptinne D, Stryckmans P
- Issue date: 1994 Nov
- Hematopoietic recovery following high-dose combined alkylating-agent chemotherapy and autologous bone marrow support in patients in phase-I clinical trials of colony-stimulating factors: G-CSF, GM-CSF, IL-1, IL-2, M-CSF.
- Authors: Laughlin MJ, Kirkpatrick G, Sabiston N, Peters W, Kurtzberg J
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Recombinant Granulocyte-Macrophage Colony-Stimulating Factor (rGM-CSF) : A Review of its Pharmacological Properties and Prospective Role in the Management of Myelosuppression.
- Authors: Grant SM, Heel RC
- Issue date: 1992 Apr
- Enhancement by transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-beta 1) of the proliferation of leukemic blast progenitors stimulated with IL-3.
- Authors: Suzuki T, Bessho M, Hirashima K, Tohda S, Nagata K, Morio T, Imai Y, Nara N
- Issue date: 1991 Sep
- Ex vivo expansion of enriched peripheral blood CD34+ progenitor cells by stem cell factor, interleukin-1 beta (IL-1 beta), IL-6, IL-3, interferon-gamma, and erythropoietin.
- Authors: Brugger W, Möcklin W, Heimfeld S, Berenson RJ, Mertelsmann R, Kanz L
- Issue date: 1993 May 15