Effect of in vivo administration of interferon gamma on expression of MHC products and tumour associated antigens in patients with metastatic melanoma.
AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIFN-gamma is an effective inducer of MHC class II antigen expression in cell lines of malignant melanoma. To investigate the possibility that IFN-gamma may increase MHC class I and II and melanoma tumour associated antigens in vivo, immunohistochemical analyses of biopsies from six patients with metastatic disease undergoing IFN-gamma treatment were performed. Before IFN-gamma treatment, the melanomas were class I positive and class II negative. After treatment, class I expression was neither enhanced nor class II expression induced in any tissue sample regardless of biopsy time or dose of IFN-gamma. TAA was similarly unchanged. However, in one of the six patients a primary cell line was established and IFN-gamma induced expression of MHC products. The possible reasons for lack of MHC induction are discussed, although qualitative changes in antigen expression cannot be excluded on the basis of qualitative immunocytochemical techniques alone.
CitationEffect of in vivo administration of interferon gamma on expression of MHC products and tumour associated antigens in patients with metastatic melanoma. 1989, 25 (11):1637-43 Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer & Clinical Oncology
- Differential modulation by recombinant immune interferon of the expression and shedding of HLA antigens and melanoma associated antigens by a melanoma cell line resistant to the antiproliferative activity of immune interferon.
- Authors: Ziai MR, Imberti L, Tongson A, Ferrone S
- Issue date: 1985 Nov
- Phenotypic profile of clones from early cultures of human metastatic melanomas and its modulation by recombinant interferon gamma.
- Authors: Anichini A, Mortarini R, Fossati G, Parmiani G
- Issue date: 1986 Oct 15
- Low-dose IFN-gamma induces tumor MHC expression in metastatic malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Propper DJ, Chao D, Braybrooke JP, Bahl P, Thavasu P, Balkwill F, Turley H, Dobbs N, Gatter K, Talbot DC, Harris AL, Ganesan TS
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- HLA-DR synthesis induction and expression in HLA-DR-negative carcinoma cell lines of diverse origins by interferon-gamma but not by interferon-beta.
- Authors: Shaw AR, Chan JK, Reid S, Seehafer J
- Issue date: 1985 Jun
- Patterns of constitutive and IFN-gamma inducible expression of HLA class II molecules in human melanoma cell lines.
- Authors: Rodríguez T, Méndez R, Del Campo A, Aptsiauri N, Martín J, Orozco G, Pawelec G, Schadendorf D, Ruiz-Cabello F, Garrido F
- Issue date: 2007 Feb