AffiliationDepartment of Cell Biology, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 9BX.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe influence of polymorphic variants of the human c-Ha-ras gene on predisposition to lung cancer has been investigated. The human c-Ha-ras gene has been shown to reside on a polymorphic BamH1 restriction fragment. This restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) results from variation in the size of a region of repetitive DNA 3' to the gene. An attempt has been made to characterise and compare the c-Ha-ras RFLP's in a normal population and in a group of cancer patients. DNA was extracted from the white blood cells of 101 normal donors and four common Ha-ras alleles identified, with occasional rare alleles of various sizes. The allele frequencies were examined in 132 lung cancer patients, comprising 66 individuals with small cell carcinoma of the lung (SCCL) and 66 with non-small cell carcinoma of the lung (non-SCCL). An abnormal allele distribution was found in individuals with non-SCCL compared to both control and SCCL values suggesting a degree of genetic pre-position to non-SCCL. In addition, analysis of the Ha-ras RFLP's in solid samples inferred a deletion of material from the short arm of chromosome 11 in two of 16 informative samples.
CitationGenetic predisposition to human lung cancer. 1986, 53 (4):453-7 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- [Restriction polymorphism of the proto-oncogene c-Ha-ras-1 in patients with multiple primary malignant neoplasms and non-small-cell lung cancer].
- Authors: Gaspar'ian AV, Sel'chuk VIu, Iakubovskaia MG, Zborovskaia IB, Tatosian AG
- Issue date: 1997 Jan
- Association of rare alleles of the Harvey ras protooncogene locus with lung cancer.
- Authors: Sugimura H, Caporaso NE, Modali RV, Hoover RN, Resau JH, Trump BF, Longergan JA, Krontiris TG, Mann DL, Weston A
- Issue date: 1990 Mar 15
- Differential DNA sequence deletions from chromosomes 3, 11, 13, and 17 in squamous-cell carcinoma, large-cell carcinoma, and adenocarcinoma of the human lung.
- Authors: Weston A, Willey JC, Modali R, Sugimura H, McDowell EM, Resau J, Light B, Haugen A, Mann DL, Trump BF
- Issue date: 1989 Jul
- Distribution and rearrangements of alleles of c-Ha-ras-1 protooncogene and their correlation with the development of lung, ovarian and thyroid cancers.
- Authors: Knyazev PG, Nikiforova IF, Serova OM, Pluzhnikova GF
- Issue date: 1990
- Simultaneous detection of genetic and immunological markers in non-small cell lung cancer: prediction of metastatic potential of tumor.
- Authors: Zborovskaya I, Gasparian A, Kitaeva M, Polotzky B, Tupitzin N, Machaladze Z, Gerasimov S, Shtutman M, Jakubovskaya M, Davidov M, Tatosyan A
- Issue date: 1996 Nov