Prolongation of ifosfamide elimination half-life in obese patients due to altered drug distribution.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe pharmacokinetics of intravenous ifosfamide were determined in 16 patients with carcinoma of the bronchus. In all 25% (4) of these patients were obese (i.e. greater than 20% over their ideal body weight). The terminal elimination half-life (t1/2 beta) was found to be higher in the obese group than in the control group (6.36 h, range 5.77-7.45 h) vs 4.95 h, range 1.82-6.48 h) (P less than 0.05). This prolongation of the elimination half-life was due to an increased volume of distribution (Vd beta) in the obese group (42.81 1, range 35.49-51.90 l) vs 33.70 l range (17.76-50.62 l) (P less than 0.05). There was therefore no significant difference in total plasma clearance between the obese and normal groups. No correlation of ifosfamide plasma half-life was observed with total body weight (TBW) or ideal body weight (IBW). However, a significant positive correlation was observed between the percentage of IBW and plasma half-life. A strong positive correlation was observed between IBW and the plasma clearance of ifosfamide. The Vd beta correlated with both TBW and the percentage of IBW, but not with IBW itself. When Vd beta was normalised for IBW, there was a strong positive correlation with the percentage of IBW, suggesting that ifosfamide distribution into the TBW is higher than that into the IBW.
CitationProlongation of ifosfamide elimination half-life in obese patients due to altered drug distribution. 1989, 25 (2):139-42 Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol.
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
- Theophylline disposition in obesity.
- Authors: Gal P, Jusko WJ, Yurchak AM, Franklin BA
- Issue date: 1978 Apr
- Cimetidine disposition in obesity.
- Authors: Abernethy DR, Greenblatt DJ, Matlis R, Gugler R
- Issue date: 1984 Feb
- Digoxin disposition in obesity: clinical pharmacokinetic investigation.
- Authors: Abernethy DR, Greenblatt DJ, Smith TW
- Issue date: 1981 Oct
- Obesity, sex, and acetaminophen disposition.
- Authors: Abernethy DR, Divoll M, Greenblatt DJ, Ameer B
- Issue date: 1982 Jun
- Obesity effects on nitrazepam disposition.
- Authors: Abernethy DR, Greenblatt DJ, Locniskar A, Ochs HR, Harmatz JS, Shader RI
- Issue date: 1986 Nov