The "hot spleen" phenomenon in metastatic malignant melanoma: its incidence and relationship with the immune system.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOf patients with Stage II and III malignant melanoma, 34.7% display reversal of the liver-spleen ratio on technetium-99m-sulphur colloid isotope scans. Such an occurrence does not suggest a greater likelihood of relapse or a worse survival. The phenomenom is more common in female patients and there is a significant relationship between the presence of a "hot spleen" and a high IgM level. Patients with Stage II disease and high IgM levels have relapses more quickly than do those with normal IgM levels. Lymphopenia is common in patients with Stage II and III disease and the survival of these patients is worse than that of those with normal lymphocyte counts. In this report, the data are discussed together with results from other investigations, and a unifying hypothesis is presented which explains the phenomenon and relates it to increased activity of macrophages as a result of the presence of the tumor. The usefulness of isotope liver scanning in stage III malignant melanoma is also discussed.
CitationThe "hot spleen" phenomenon in metastatic malignant melanoma: its incidence and relationship with the immune system. 1982, 49 (3):439-44 Cancer
- The significance of augmented radiocolloid uptake by the spleen in patients with malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Sober AJ, Mintzis MM, Lew RA, Lo HH, Whalen C, McKusick KA, Potsaid MS, Vialotti C, Pearson B
- Issue date: 1979 Dec
- Normal appearance and reproducibility of liver-spleen studies with Tc-99m sulfur colloid and Tc-99m microalbumin colloid.
- Authors: Klingensmith WC 3rd, Spitzer VM, Fritzberg AR, Kuni CC
- Issue date: 1983 Jan
- Significance of 99mTc-sulfur colloid splenic image in malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Berjian RA, Parthasarathy KL, Didolkar MS, Bakshi SP, Moore RH
- Issue date: 1980
- Splenic uptake of Tc-99m sulphur colloid in malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Nathanson L, Kahn P
- Issue date: 1977 Oct
- Prognosis in Stage 1 malignant melanoma: seven-year follow-up study of splenic radiocolloid uptake as predictor of death.
- Authors: Koh HK, Sober AJ, Kopf A, Day CL, McKusick KA, Lew RA, Fitzpatrick TB
- Issue date: 1984 Nov