11-week course of sequential methotrexate, thoracic irradiation, and moderate-dose cyclophosphamide for "limited"-stage small-cell bronchogenic carcinoma. A study from the Manchester Lung Tumour Group.
Barber, Philip V
Hunter, Robin D
Carroll, K B
Wilkinson, Peter M
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract55 patients with inoperable but "limited"-stage small-cell carcinoma were treated sequentially with methotrexate, radiotherapy, and high doses of cyclophosphamide. The treatment was completed over 11 weeks and no maintenance chemotherapy was given. Follow-up lasted 9-29 months. Toxicity was acceptable, despite doses of cyclophosphamide of 1.5-3.5 g/m2. The complete response rate was 53%. Median survival for the total patient group was 12 months, range 2-29+. Patients who attained a complete response had a 17 month median survival; 17 patients remained in complete remission, 9 of whom first underwent treatment 14-29 months previously. Karnofsky performance scores improved after treatment and most patients were able to resume normal activity. The results are similar to those obtained with prolonged combination chemotherapy.
Citation11-week course of sequential methotrexate, thoracic irradiation, and moderate-dose cyclophosphamide for "limited"-stage small-cell bronchogenic carcinoma. A study from the Manchester Lung Tumour Group. 1982, 1 (8280):1040-3 Lancet
- Combined-modality treatment of small-cell lung cancer: randomized comparison of three induction chemotherapies followed by maintenance chemotherapy with or without radiotherapy to the chest. Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research (SAKK).
- Authors: Joss RA, Alberto P, Bleher EA, Ludwig C, Siegenthaler P, Martinelli G, Sauter C, Schatzmann E, Senn HJ
- Issue date: 1994 Dec
- Three months treatment with chemotherapy and radiotherapy for small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Thatcher N, Stout R, Smith DB, Grötte G, Winson M, Bassett H, Carroll KB
- Issue date: 1985 Sep
- [Small cell lung carcinoma: role of thoracic irradiation and its timing in relation to chemotherapy].
- Authors: Payne DG, Murray N, Warde P
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Upper hemibody and local chest irradiation as consolidation following response to high-dose induction chemotherapy for small cell bronchogenic carcinoma--a pilot study.
- Authors: Mason BA, Richter MP, Catalano RB, Creech RB
- Issue date: 1982 Aug
- Methotrexate in the chemotherapy of lung cancer.
- Authors: Smyth JF, Ford HT
- Issue date: 1981