Advanced recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Results of a chemotherapeutic regimen with adriamycin, bleomycin, 5-fluorouracil, methotrextate, and vitamin A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwenty-five patients with advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck were entered into this study. All patients had previously been irradiated and the majority had also undergone surgery for recurrent tumor. A low-dose regimen consisting of adriamycin, bleomycin, 5-fluorouracil, methotrexate, and vitamin A was prescribed, the median number of courses was four and a total of 95 were administered. Ten patients (40%) achieved objective responses (7 partial, 3 complete). The median duration of response was 14 weeks (range, nine to 60 weeks) with a median survival time of 38.5 weeks (range, eight to 72 weeks). The nonresponding patient group's survival time was significantly reduced (P = 0.002; median, 12 weeks; range, three to 40 weeks). The treatment was given on an outpatient basis and no serious hematologic toxic reactions were encountered. Mucositis was uncommon. This regimen produced an acceptable response rate without serious side-effects. The use of Vitamin A may have helped to prevent further impairment of the patient's nutritional status by ameliorating drug-induced mucositis.
CitationAdvanced recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Results of a chemotherapeutic regimen with adriamycin, bleomycin, 5-fluorouracil, methotrextate, and vitamin A. 1980, 46 (6):1324-8 Cancer
- Intensive sequential chemotherapy with bleomycin, Oncovin, mitomycin C, and methotrexate followed by adriamycin, cisplatin, and cyclosphosphamide in squamous cell cancer of the head and neck.
- Authors: Wheeler RH, Baker SR, Liepman MK, Ensminger WD
- Issue date: 1983
- Treatment of recurrent head and neck cancer with cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil vs. the same plus bleomycin and methotrexate.
- Authors: Amrein PC, Fabian RL
- Issue date: 1992 Aug
- Non-platinum-containing combination chemotherapy for stage III-IV head and neck squamous carcinoma.
- Authors: Veronesi A, Magri MD, Tirelli U, Galligioni E, Frustaci S, Crivellari D, Tumolo S, Grigoletto E
- Issue date: 1983 Aug 31
- Bleomycin, methotrexate, and CCNU in locally advanced or recurrent, inoperable, squamous-cell carcinoma of the vulva: an EORTC Gynaecological Cancer Cooperative Group Study. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer.
- Authors: Wagenaar HC, Colombo N, Vergote I, Hoctin-Boes G, Zanetta G, Pecorelli S, Lacave AJ, van Hoesel Q, Cervantes A, Bolis G, Namer M, Lhommé C, Guastalla JP, Nooij MA, Poveda A, Scotto di Palumbo V, Vermorken JB
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Vinorelbine, bleomycin and methotrexate as a salvage therapy for patients with head and neck squamous carcinoma in relapse after cisplatin/fluorouracil.
- Authors: Iop A, Cartei G, Isaia A
- Issue date: 1998 Feb