Treatment of metastatic melanoma by 24-hour DTIC infusions and hemibody irradiation.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractForty-three patients with widely metastatic melanoma were studied. Visceral metastases were present in 79% of the patient group, including five patients with brain metastases. No patients were excluded because of "early death," etc., from analysis. All 43 patients received 24-hour DTIC infusions. Dosages for individual patients ranged from 350 mg/M2 to 2.5 g/M2, a maximum of 6 courses being given. A total of 155 courses was administered. Hemibody irradiation (HBI) was delivered after 1 or 3 courses of DTIC to the area of maximum disease in 23 patients. Fourteen of the 43 patients responded to DTIC chemotherapy (with one complete response), a response rate of 33%. Seven of the chemotherapy responders also responded in other sites to subsequent HBI, a response rate of 30% (7/23). No patient responded to HBI and not to DTIC. Median survival was 4 months (range, 1-15), and nine patients are still alive at 3 to 15 months. Toxicity was generally mild, although there was one possible treatment-related death. Further exploration of DTIC infusion chemotherapy and HBI would be of interest.
CitationTreatment of metastatic melanoma by 24-hour DTIC infusions and hemibody irradiation. 1986, 57 (11):2103-7 Cancer
- High-dose, double alkylating agent chemotherapy with DTIC, melphalan, or ifosfamide and marrow rescue for metastatic malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Thatcher D, Lind M, Morgenstern G, Carr T, Chadwick G, Jones R, Craig P
- Issue date: 1989 Apr 1
- [Hypersensitivity to dacarbazine in patients with metastatic malignant melanoma].
- Authors: Levy A, Guitera P, Kerob D, Ollivaud L, Archimbaud A, Dubertret L, Basset-Seguin N
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Sequential administration of varying doses of dacarbazine and fotemustine in advanced malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Lee SM, Margison GP, Woodcock AA, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 1993 Jun
- DTIC vs. IFN-alpha plus DTIC in the treatment of patients with metastatic malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Rudolf Z, Strojan P
- Issue date: 1996
- Combined treatment with dacarbazine, cisplatin, fotemustine and tamoxifen in metastatic malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Richard MA, Grob JJ, Zarrour H, Bassères N, Bizzari JP, Gérard B, Bonerandi JJ
- Issue date: 1998 Apr