Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGF-R) in human lung tumours.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEpidermal growth factor receptor (EGF-R) expression was assessed in 63 lung tumour samples with a monoclonal antibody (EGF-R1) by indirect immunoperoxidase staining on cryostat sections. All 15 small cell lung cancer samples were negative whereas over 80% of the 48 non small lung cancer stained positively. In 30 bronchial biopsies two monoclonal antibodies against the cytoplasmic part of the EGF-R were evaluated. These antibodies showed weaker staining than EGF-R1. No additional or enhanced staining as compared with EGF-R1 was observed, suggesting a lack of enhanced expression of a truncated EGF-R analogous to the v-erb-B oncogene product. Monoclonal antibodies against the EGF-R may be helpful diagnostically in differentiating small cell from non small cell lung cancer and may also be important in elucidating biological differences in primary lung cancer.
CitationExpression of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGF-R) in human lung tumours. 1986, 54 (2):265-9 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Epidermal growth factor receptors in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Veale D, Ashcroft T, Marsh C, Gibson GJ, Harris AL
- Issue date: 1987 May
- Epidermal growth factor receptors in lung tumours.
- Authors: Berger MS, Gullick WJ, Greenfield C, Evans S, Addis BJ, Waterfield MD
- Issue date: 1987 Aug
- Expression of epidermal growth factor receptors in four histologic cell types of lung cancer.
- Authors: Kaseda S, Ueda M, Ozawa S, Ishihara T, Abe O, Shimizu N
- Issue date: 1989 Sep
- Epidermal growth factor receptor expression in human lung carcinomas defined by a monoclonal antibody.
- Authors: Sobol RE, Astarita RW, Hofeditz C, Masui H, Fairshter R, Royston I, Mendelsohn J
- Issue date: 1987 Sep
- Comparison of epidermal growth factor receptor expression in lung cancer by immunohistochemical staining of both frozen and formalin fixed specimens.
- Authors: Dazzi H, Hasleton PS, Thatcher N, Wilkes S, Barnes D, Gullick WJ
- Issue date: 1991 Mar