Prevalence of the Rhesus-negative phenotype in Caucasian patients with small-cell lung cancer (SCLC).
Fey, M F
Joss, R A
Lind, Michael J
Von Rohr, A
AffiliationInstitute of Medical Oncology, Inselspital, Berne, Switzerland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report that the Rhesus (Rh)-negative phenotype is more prevalent in patients with small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) than in the normal Caucasian population (SCLC: 25% Rh-negative vs. 15% expected, p less than 0.0001). This finding has been validated for a Central and a Northern European population (Switzerland and UK). In contrast, the Rh-negative phenotype is no more frequent in non-small-cell lung cancer patients or in heavy smokers with coronary heart disease than in the general population. There was a normal distribution of the ABO blood group phenotype in all patients studied. Whilst the significance of this observation is unclear, we hypothesize that a genetic predisposition to the development of SCLC may be linked to a hitherto unidentified gene on chromosome 1p near the Rh locus. Our observation may perhaps allow further progress to be made in understanding genetic mechanisms of SCLC carcinogenesis.
CitationPrevalence of the Rhesus-negative phenotype in Caucasian patients with small-cell lung cancer (SCLC). 1992, 52 (3):504-6 Int J Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Lack of any association between blood groups and lung cancer, independent of histology.
- Authors: Oguz A, Unal D, Tasdemir A, Karahan S, Aykas F, Mutlu H, Cihan YB, Kanbay M
- Issue date: 2013
- ABO and Rhesus blood groups and risk of endometriosis in a French Caucasian population of 633 patients living in the same geographic area.
- Authors: Borghese B, Chartier M, Souza C, Santulli P, Lafay-Pillet MC, de Ziegler D, Chapron C
- Issue date: 2014
- Association of ABO blood group and risk of lung cancer in a multicenter study in Turkey.
- Authors: Urun Y, Utkan G, Cangir AK, Oksuzoglu OB, Ozdemir N, Oztuna DG, Kocaman G, Coşkun HŞ, Kaplan MA, Yuksel C, Demirkazik A, Icli F
- Issue date: 2013
- Distribution of ABO and Rh D blood groups in the population of Poonch District, Azad Jammu and Kashmir.
- Authors: Khan MN, Khaliq I, Bakhsh A, Akhtar MS, Amin-ud-Din M
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun
- ABO and Rh(D) phenotype frequencies of different racial/ethnic groups in the United States.
- Authors: Garratty G, Glynn SA, McEntire R, Retrovirus Epidemiology Donor Study.
- Issue date: 2004 May