Treatment of malignant pleural effusions with intrapleural Corynebacterium parvum or tetracycline.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThirty two patients with malignant pleural effusion were randomly allocated to treatment with intrapleural Corynebacterium parvum or tetracycline hydrochloride in an attempt to prevent symptomatic recurrence of pleural fluid. Success in preventing recurrence of fluid at one month, using up to 2 doses of each drug, was 14 of 16 cases for Corynebacterium parvum, 5 of 9 for tetracycline given via an intercostal needle, and 6 of 7 for tetracycline given through an intercostal tube. These difference were not statistically significant. Corynebacterium parvum was significantly more likely to produce pyrexia equal or greater than 38 degrees C (P less than 0.001) and pain requiring analgesia (P less than 0.05) than tetracycline hydrochloride. Corynebacterium parvum is a useful agent for the management of malignant pleural effusion, but is associated with more side effects than tetracycline.
CitationTreatment of malignant pleural effusions with intrapleural Corynebacterium parvum or tetracycline. 1985, 66 (1):50-4 Eur J Respir Dis
JournalEuropean Journal of Respiratory Diseases
- [Comparison of the effectiveness and adverse effects of a Corynebacterium parvum vaccine made in Czechoslovakia with Coparvax, a British preparation made by Wellcome, in the treatment of malignant pleural effusions].
- Authors: Marel M, Melínová L, Bednár M
- Issue date: 1989 Aug 18
- Corynebacterium parvum in malignant pleural effusion. A randomized prospective study.
- Authors: Hillerdal G, Kiviloog J, Nöu E, Steinholtz L
- Issue date: 1986 Sep
- [Treatment of neoplastic pleural effusion by intrapleural administration of Corynebacterium parvum vaccine].
- Authors: Krasucka-Kluźniak A, Krakówka P
- Issue date: 1985 May
- [Monitoring natural killer cell activity in the blood of patients with malignant pleural effusion after intrapleural administration of Corynebacterium parvum].
- Authors: Marel M, Pospísil M, Fiserová A, Melínová L, Skácel Z, Bednár M
- Issue date: 1990 Apr 20
- Intrapleural immunotherapy with Corynebacterium parvum in recurrent malignant pleural effusions.
- Authors: Millar JW, Hunter AM, Horne NW
- Issue date: 1980 Nov