A phase I study of rDNA alpha-2b interferon as a 6-week continuous intravenous infusion.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSixteen patients with advanced malignancy were treated with rDNA alpha-2b interferon using a continuous 6-week i.v. schedule. Patients received 1 microgram, 3 mu [corrected], 5 mu and 7 mu/m2/day via a portable infusion pump system, all therapy being on an outpatient basis. The dose-limiting toxicity occurring at 7 mu/m2/day [corrected] was lethargy and somnolence. Five million units (mu) was the maximum tolerated dose but significant nausea, anorexia and lethargy affected 4/5 patients at this level. A dose of 3 mu/m2/day was well tolerated, producing little disturbance of normal activity in the majority of patients. Suppression of WBC and platelets was seen at all doses but was not dose-limiting. There was increasing severity of derangement of hepatic transaminases with increasing dose, and the occurrence of liver toxicity appeared to correlate with nausea, anorexia and lethargy. Assay of serum interferon during the infusion showed that this system maintained a constant level of interferon in the blood. However, the increase did not show a linear pattern with increasing dose, suggesting saturation of metabolic inactivation at 7 mu/m2/day. We recommend that a dose of 3 mu/m2/day be used in future studies of prolonged infusions of alpha-2 interferon.
CitationA phase I study of rDNA alpha-2b interferon as a 6-week continuous intravenous infusion. 1987, 20 (4):327-31 Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol.
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
- Phase I study of recombinant beta ser 17 interferon in the treatment of cancer.
- Authors: Sarna G, Pertcheck M, Figlin R, Ardalan B
- Issue date: 1986 Dec
- A phase I study of recombinant interferon-alpha administered as a seven-day continuous venous infusion at circadian-rhythm modulated rate in patients with cancer.
- Authors: Iacobelli S, Garufi C, Irtelli L, Martino MT, Santobuono F, Vicario G, Tinari N, Fiorentino B, Innocenti P, Natoli C
- Issue date: 1995 Feb
- Phase I evaluation of therapy with four schedules of 5-fluorouracil by continuous infusion combined with recombinant interferon alpha.
- Authors: Greenblatt MS, Mangalik A, Ferguson J, Elias L
- Issue date: 1995 Jun
- Phase I study of weekly high-dose human lymphoblastoid interferon.
- Authors: Connors JM, Silver HK
- Issue date: 1984 Sep
- A phase I trial of 21-day continuous venous infusion of alpha-interferon at circadian rhythm modulated rate in cancer patients.
- Authors: Deprés-Brummer P, Levi F, Di Palma M, Beliard A, Lebon P, Marion S, Jasmin C, Misset JL
- Issue date: 1991 Dec