Pretreatment prognostic factors and scoring system in 407 small-cell lung cancer patients.
AffiliationInstitut fuer Medizinische Onkologie, Universitaet Bern, Inselspital, CH-3010 Bern, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn 407 patients with small-cell lung cancer (SCLC), 61 pretreatment variables were evaluated in a Cox multiple regression analysis to assess their prognostic value. All patients received short-term intensive regimens (cyclophosphamide, etoposide and methotrexate or ifosfamide and etoposide, both followed by thoracic irradiation if complete response was noted). Lactate dehydrogenase (p = 0.001), tumour stage (p = 0.0001), serum sodium (p = 0.0009), pretreatment Karnofsky performance score (p = 0.0121), alkaline phosphatase (p = 0.0186) and serum bicarbonate (p = 0.0321) were the important prognostic factors. Once these variables were taken into account no other variable provided additional prognostic information. A simple scoring system ("Manchester Score") using these variables was established and shows little loss of information compared to the Cox analysis. The score distinguishes 3 prognostic groups, the best of which contains all long-term survivors, whereas the bad prognostic group contains no patient surviving longer than one year. The scoring system may help to design new treatment strategies and may also facilitate the comparison of different studies.
CitationPretreatment prognostic factors and scoring system in 407 small-cell lung cancer patients. 1987, 39 (2):146-9 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Prognostic factors and prognostic staging system for small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Kawahara M, Fukuoka M, Saijo N, Nishiwaki Y, Ikegami H, Tamura T, Shimoyama M, Suemasu K, Furuse K
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- Pretreatment prognostic factors for survival in small-cell lung cancer: a new prognostic index and validation of three known prognostic indices on 341 patients.
- Authors: Maestu I, Pastor M, Gómez-Codina J, Aparicio J, Oltra A, Herranz C, Montalar J, Munárriz B, Reynés G
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- A randomised trial of three or six courses of etoposide cyclophosphamide methotrexate and vincristine or six courses of etoposide and ifosfamide in small cell lung cancer (SCLC). I: Survival and prognostic factors. Medical Research Council Lung Cancer Working Party.
- Authors: Bleehen NM, Girling DJ, Machin D, Stephens RJ
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Long-term survival in small-cell lung cancer: posttreatment characteristics in patients surviving 5 to 18+ years--an analysis of 1,714 consecutive patients.
- Authors: Lassen U, Osterlind K, Hansen M, Dombernowsky P, Bergman B, Hansen HH
- Issue date: 1995 May
- Prognostic factors in small cell lung cancer: multivariate model based on 778 patients treated with chemotherapy with or without irradiation.
- Authors: Osterlind K, Andersen PK
- Issue date: 1986 Aug