Comparison of epidermal growth factor receptor expression in lung cancer by immunohistochemical staining of both frozen and formalin fixed specimens.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, England, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo monoclonal antibodies used to investigate the expression of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGF-R) in 45 lung cancers were compared. The R1 antibody recognises the extracellular domain portion of the receptor and the F4 is directed against the cytoplasmic portion. The reactivities of the two antibodies have been compared in fresh frozen tumour specimens. In addition the staining activity of the F4 antibody (the first to EGF-R which can be used in archival material) was compared using frozen and paraffin sections from the same series of tumours. Comparisons of the numbers of cells staining with the R1 and F4 antibody showed only slight discrepancy when fresh material was examined. The discrepancy that existed could be explained by the heterogeneity of the tumours. Very similar results were obtained using the F4 antibody on paraffin embedded and fresh non-small cell lung cancer material. We conclude that the expression EGF-R can be detected reliably by the F4 antibody in both the fresh frozen and formalin fixed, paraffin embedded material and could be useful in assessing the clinical importance of EGF-R in archival tumour material.
CitationComparison of epidermal growth factor receptor expression in lung cancer by immunohistochemical staining of both frozen and formalin fixed specimens. 1991, 3 (2):69-75 Anal Cell Pathol
JournalAnalytical Cellular Pathology
- Epidermal growth factor receptors in lung tumours.
- Authors: Berger MS, Gullick WJ, Greenfield C, Evans S, Addis BJ, Waterfield MD
- Issue date: 1987 Aug
- Immunohistochemical detection of epidermal growth factor receptor in human high-grade astrocytomas--a comparison between frozen- and paraffin sections.
- Authors: Torp SH, Bringedal K, Dalen A
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Heparin-binding epidermal growth factor-like growth factor isoforms and epidermal growth factor receptor/ErbB1 expression in bladder cancer and their relation to clinical outcome.
- Authors: Kramer C, Klasmeyer K, Bojar H, Schulz WA, Ackermann R, Grimm MO
- Issue date: 2007 May 15
- Differential expression of growth factors in squamous cell carcinoma and precancerous lesions of the lung.
- Authors: Piyathilake CJ, Frost AR, Manne U, Weiss H, Bell WC, Heimburger DC, Grizzle WE
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- Development of an optimal protocol for antigen retrieval: a 'test battery' approach exemplified with reference to the staining of retinoblastoma protein (pRB) in formalin-fixed paraffin sections.
- Authors: Shi SR, Cote RJ, Yang C, Chen C, Xu HJ, Benedict WF, Taylor CR
- Issue date: 1996 Jul