Viridans streptococcal bacteraemia in patients with haematological and solid malignancies.
AuthorsBurden, A David
Oppenheim, Beryl A
Morgenstern, Godfrey R
Scarffe, J Howard
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThirty-three episodes of septicaemia caused by viridans streptococci are reported in 32 adults under treatment for malignant diseases. The underlying diseases were acute leukaemia (17), lymphoma (4), myeloma (1), small cell carcinoma of the bronchus (6), carcinoma of the breast (2) and carcinoma of the stomach (2). Important predisposing factors included severe neutropenia and oral mucositis due to intensive chemotherapeutic regimens. There was a poor response to standard empirical antibiotics and a mortality of 12%. A role for prophylactic penicillin in high risk groups is suggested.
CitationViridans streptococcal bacteraemia in patients with haematological and solid malignancies. 1991, 27 (4):409-11 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Viridans streptococcal bacteraemia due to penicillin-resistant and penicillin-sensitive streptococci: analysis of risk factors and outcome in 60 patients from a single cancer centre before and after penicillin is used for prophylaxis.
- Authors: Spanik S, Trupl J, Kunova A, Botek R, Sorkovska D, Grey E, Studena M, Lacka J, Oravcova E, Krchnakova A, Rusnakova V, Svec J, Krupova I, Grausova S, Stopkova K, Koren P, Krcmery V Jr
- Issue date: 1997
- Bacteremia due to viridans streptococcus in neutropenic patients with cancer: clinical spectrum and risk factors.
- Authors: Bochud PY, Eggiman P, Calandra T, Van Melle G, Saghafi L, Francioli P
- Issue date: 1994 Jan
- Increased incidence of bacteraemia due to viridans streptococci in an unselected population of patients with acute myeloid leukaemia.
- Authors: Persson L, Vikerfors T, Sjöberg L, Engervall P, Tidefelt U
- Issue date: 2000
- [Bacteremic episodes in pediatric oncologic patients, especially caused by the Streptococcus viridans group].
- Authors: Berner R, Sauter S, Duffner U, Brandis M, Niemeyer CM
- Issue date: 1998 Jul-Aug
- Viridans streptococcal bacteraemia: a clinical survey.
- Authors: Sriskandan S, Soto A, Evans TJ, Cohen J
- Issue date: 1995 Jun