O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase depletion and regeneration in human peripheral lymphocytes following dacarbazine and fotemustine.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractO6-Alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase (ATase) levels were measured in peripheral blood lymphocytes of 13 patients with advanced malignant melanoma treated with sequential dacarbazine (DTIC) and fotemustine. Wide interindividual variation in the pretreatment levels and in depletion and regeneration of ATase activity was noted. Depletion of ATase was seen within the first h after DTIC administration with values ranging from 44 to 92% of pretreatment levels. In 10 patients, progressive depletion of ATase activity occurred with nadir activity occurring at about 4 to 6 h with values ranging from 0 to 67% of pretreatment activity; at 18 h after DTIC infusion. ATase activity varied from 6 to 81%. No significant difference was seen between the rates of ATase depletion or regeneration between the two groups of patients receiving either 500 or 800 mg/m2 of DTIC with the same dose of fotemustine (100 mg/m2). In one patient, maximum depletion occurred within 1 h and no ATase activity was detectable over the next 18 h. In another patient, maximum depletion occurred at 2 h after DTIC followed by recovery of ATase activity to 71% at 18 h. In 2 patients who returned for subsequent cycles of chemotherapy, an increase in pretreatment ATase activity was seen. Overall, the extent of depletion of ATase following DTIC/fotemustine was directly proportional to the initial ATase level.
CitationO6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase depletion and regeneration in human peripheral lymphocytes following dacarbazine and fotemustine. 1991, 51 (2):619-23 Cancer Res.
- Dosage and cycle effects of dacarbazine (DTIC) and fotemustine on O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
- Authors: Lee SM, Thatcher N, Dougal M, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1993 Feb
- Formation and loss of O6-methyldeoxyguanosine in human leucocyte DNA following sequential DTIC and fotemustine chemotherapy.
- Authors: Lee SM, Margison GP, Thatcher N, O'Connor PJ, Cooper DP
- Issue date: 1994 May
- Sequential administration of varying doses of dacarbazine and fotemustine in advanced malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Lee SM, Margison GP, Woodcock AA, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 1993 Jun
- In vivo depletion of O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase in lymphocytes and melanoma of patients treated with CB 10-277, a new DTIC analogue.
- Authors: Lee SM, Thatcher N, Crowther D, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1992
- Cyclophosphamide decreases O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in peripheral lymphocytes of patients undergoing bone marrow transplantation.
- Authors: Lee SM, Crowther D, Scarffe JH, Dougal M, Elder RH, Rafferty JA, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1992 Aug