The pharmacokinetics of ifosfamide given as short and long intravenous infusions in cancer patients.
AffiliationDivision of Clinical Pharmacology, United Medical School, Guy's Hospital, London.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract1. We investigated the pharmacokinetics of ifosfamide 5 g m-2 given by two regimens. Six patients (one female), median age 55 (range 40-71) years, all with lung cancer received 5 g m-2 ifosfamide (median ifosfamide dose 8.95 g) as an intravenous infusion over 0.5 h with mesna. Four other cancer patients (all male) of median age 52.5 (range 23-72) years were studied on seven treatment occasions with 5 g m-2 ifosfamide (median ifosfamide dose 8.88 g) as a 24 h intravenous infusion with mesna. Plasma was assayed for ifosfamide by gas liquid chromatography and for alkylating activity by the nitrobenzylpyridine method. 2. After ifosfamide 5 g m-2 infused over 0.5 h, the decay of the plasma ifosfamide concentration was monoexponential with a median (range) t1/2,z of 5.4 h (3.6-10.4 h). The median clearance was 60 ml min-1 (47-104) and the median volume of distribution was 388 (329-783) ml kg-1. Plasma nitrobenzylpyridine alkylating activity showed a biexponential decay in four patients and a monoexponential decay in two, with a median AUC of 102 (24-177) nmol nor nitrogen mustard eq h ml-1. 3. When ifosfamide 5 g m-2 was given as a 24 h infusion, the decay of the plasma ifosfamide concentration was monoexponential, the median (range) t1/2,z was 4.5 (3.4-6.1), the median volume of distribution was 563 (292-818) ml kg-1 and the median clearance was 79 (59-116) ml min-1. Plasma nitrobenzylpyridine alkylating activity decayed monoexponentially and the median AUC was 49 (45-131) nmol nor nitrogen mustard eq ml-1 h.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
CitationThe pharmacokinetics of ifosfamide given as short and long intravenous infusions in cancer patients. 1991, 31 (1):77-82 Br J Clin Pharmacol
JournalBritish Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
- Fractionated ifosfamide therapy produces a time-dependent increase in ifosfamide metabolism.
- Authors: Lewis LD, Fitzgerald DL, Harper PG, Rogers HJ
- Issue date: 1990 Nov
- Alkylating activity in serum, urine, and CSF following high-dose ifosfamide in children.
- Authors: Ninane J, Baurain R, de Kraker J, Ferster A, Trouet A, Cornu G
- Issue date: 1989
- Intravenous ifosfamide/mesna is associated with depletion of plasma thiols without depletion of leukocyte glutathione.
- Authors: Pendyala L, Creaven PJ, Schwartz G, Meropol NJ, Bolanowska-Higdon W, Zdanowicz J, Murphy M, Perez R
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- A study of 5 day fractionated ifosfamide pharmacokinetics in consecutive treatment cycles.
- Authors: Lewis LD
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- A phase I trial of AUC-directed carboplatin with infusional doxorubicin and ifosfamide plus G-CSF in patients with advanced gynecologic malignancies.
- Authors: Lopez AM, Ketchum M, Nichols H, Xu MJ, Peng YM, Dorr R, Alberts DS
- Issue date: 2000