Phase II study with mitomycin, ifosfamide and carboplatin in inoperable non-small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a phase II study of non-small cell lung cancer a new chemotherapy combination of mitomycin 6 mg/m2 intravenously on day 1, carboplatin 400 mg/m2 intravenously on day 1 and ifosfamide with mesna 5 g/m2 intravenously over 24 hours on day 1 was evaluated. A maximum of four chemotherapy cycles was given at intervals of 4 weeks to 34 patients with progressive, inoperable disease. 1 complete and 10 partial remissions were documented, the overall response rate being 32.4%. In a further 13 patients (38.2%) the previously progressing tumours remained stable for at least 6 weeks. The median time to progression for responding patients was 184 days. The median survival time for the whole group has not yet been reached at 293 days. A considerable but easily manageable myelosuppression was the principal toxicity despite a "no dose reduction" policy. Indeed, the dose intensity of the chemotherapy actually given was extremely close (97%) to that intended on protocol. In conclusion, the regimen is active in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer but requires regular haematological monitoring to prevent morbidity resulting from myelotoxicity.
CitationPhase II study with mitomycin, ifosfamide and carboplatin in inoperable non-small cell lung cancer. 1991, 27 (9):1106-8 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Phase III trial of gemcitabine and carboplatin versus mitomycin, ifosfamide, and cisplatin or mitomycin, vinblastine, and cisplatin in patients with advanced nonsmall cell lung carcinoma.
- Authors: Danson S, Middleton MR, O'Byrne KJ, Clemons M, Ranson M, Hassan J, Anderson H, Burt PA, Fairve-Finn C, Stout R, Dowd I, Ashcroft L, Beresford C, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 2003 Aug 1
- Mitomycin, ifosfamide and cisplatin in non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Currie DC, Miles DW, Drake JS, Rudd R, Spiro SG, Earl HM, Harper PG, Tobias JS, Souhami RL
- Issue date: 1990
- The role of hematopoietic growth factors in support of ifosfamide/carboplatin/etoposide chemotherapy.
- Authors: Crawford J, George M
- Issue date: 1995 Jun
- Ifosfamide/carboplatin/etoposide chemotherapy in patients with metastatic non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Chang AY, Asbury RF, Boros L, Garrow GC, Hsieh S
- Issue date: 1995 Jun
- Ifosfamide, mitomycin and radiotherapy in non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Chetiyawardana SD, Cullen MH, Joshi RC, Woodroffe CM
- Issue date: 1989