Recombinant human GM-CSF in small cell lung cancer: a phase I/II study.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeventeen patients with small cell lung cancer were entered into a dose ranging phase I-II study using rhGM-CSF (Glaxo). In the phase I study patients received 50, 150, 300 or 500 micrograms/m2 GM-CSF for 10 days by daily subcutaneous injection. Full blood counts were performed thrice weekly. After 4 days off all therapy patients then received chemotherapy with doxorubicin 50 mg/m2 i.v. bolus, day 1, ifosfamide 5 g/m2 with mesna 5 g/m2 over 24 h by continuous infusion followed by mesna 3 g/m2, and etoposide 120 mg/m2 i.v. on days 1-3. A total of six courses of chemotherapy were given. In the phase II study patients received the same dose of GM-CSF as in the phase I. GM-CSF was given 24 h after the last dose of chemotherapy for 14 days. Full blood counts were checked thrice weekly and the incidence of infections noted. Patients were randomised to receive GM-CSF with either odd or even courses of chemotherapy. The leucocyte count rose from a mean of 8.7 to 21.6 x 10(9)/l at the 50 micrograms/m2 GM-CSF dosage and from 11.4 to 39.4 x 10(9)/l at the 500 micrograms/m2 dosage during the phase I study. Phase I toxicity was: bone pain in 65% of patients, rash in 47%, fever in 24%, lethargy in 12% and diarrhoea in 12%. In the phase II study the duration of neutropenia was less during the chemotherapy courses with GM-CSF (p = 0.04) but the number of infections was similar.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
CitationRecombinant human GM-CSF in small cell lung cancer: a phase I/II study. 1991, 121:155-61 Recent Results Cancer Res.
JournalRecent Results in Cancer Research
- Effect of rhGM-CSF on haematopoietic reconstitution after chemotherapy in small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Havemann K, Klausmann M, Wolf M, Fischer JR, Drings P, Oster W
- Issue date: 1991
- Infection risk in patients with small cell lung cancer receiving intensive chemotherapy and recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor.
- Authors: Gurney H, Anderson H, Radford J, Potter MR, Swindell R, Steward W, Kamthan A, Chang J, Weiner J, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 1992
- Phase II study of ifosfamide, carboplatin, etoposide and GM-CSF in small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Thongprasert S
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Dose-ranging study of recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in small-cell lung carcinoma.
- Authors: Hamm J, Schiller JH, Cuffie C, Oken M, Fisher RI, Shepherd F, Kaiser G
- Issue date: 1994 Dec
- Recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in combination with standard induction chemotherapy in de novo acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Bettelheim P, Valent P, Andreeff M, Tafuri A, Haimi J, Gorischek C, Muhm M, Sillaber C, Haas O, Vieder L
- Issue date: 1991 Feb 15