Malignant pleural mesothelioma and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGF-R). Relationship of EGF-R with histology and survival using fixed paraffin embedded tissue and the F4, monoclonal antibody.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe expression of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGF-R) in 34 formalin fixed paraffin embedded specimens of malignant mesothelioma was examined using the F4 antibody. Eight samples of reactive pleura showed homogenous cytoplasmic staining with the antibody. EGF-R positive cells (greater than or equal to 5%) were found in 68% of the mesotheliomas examined. EGF-R positivity was more commonly seen in the epithelial histological subtype than in the sarcomatous or mixed subtypes. Patients with less than 5% of mesothelioma cells staining positive for EGF-R had a significantly shorter survival (median 299 days) compared with patients whose tumours had a greater number of cells positive for EGF-R (median 446 days) (P = 0.04). However, when the histological subgroup was also taken into consideration (epithelial type had a significantly longer survival than the sarcomatous or mixed) the survival difference in relation to EGF-R positivity was no longer significant (P = 0.08). EGF-R could not be used to distinguish between malignant and benign mesothelial tissue and was not an independent prognostic factor for survival.
CitationMalignant pleural mesothelioma and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGF-R). Relationship of EGF-R with histology and survival using fixed paraffin embedded tissue and the F4, monoclonal antibody. 1990, 61 (6):924-6 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Immunohistochemical distribution patterns of epidermal growth factor receptor in malignant mesothelioma and non-neoplastic mesothelium.
- Authors: Ramael M, Segers K, Buysse C, Van den Bossche J, Van Marck E
- Issue date: 1991
- Malignant mesothelioma of the pleura: relation between histological type and clinical behaviour.
- Authors: Law MR, Hodson ME, Heard BE
- Issue date: 1982 Nov
- Immunohistochemical staining for vimentin and keratin in malignant mesothelioma.
- Authors: Churg A
- Issue date: 1985 May
- p53 immunostaining in the distinction between benign and malignant mesothelial proliferations using formalin-fixed paraffin sections.
- Authors: Mayall FG, Goddard H, Gibbs AR
- Issue date: 1992 Dec
- Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGF-R) in non-small cell lung cancer. Use of archival tissue and correlation of EGF-R with histology, tumour size, node status and survival.
- Authors: Dazzi H, Hasleton PS, Thatcher N, Barnes DM, Wilkes S, Swindell R, Lawson RA
- Issue date: 1989 May