Recombinant interleukin-2 in metastatic renal cell carcinoma--a European multicentre phase II study.
Authorsvon der Maase, H
Fosså, S D
AffiliationDepartment of Oncology, Herlev University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis multinational, multicentre study represents the introduction of recombinant interleukin-2 (rIL-2) in Europe. From December 1987 to June 1989, 57 eligible patients with metastatic renal cell cancer were treated with rIL-2 administered as continuous intravenous infusion. 8 out of 51 evaluable patients responded (16%), 2 complete remission (CR) and 6 partial remission (PR). 10 patients had no change (20%). The response duration for CR was 209 and 394+ days. The median response duration for PR was 371 (range 140-506+) days. Dose-limiting grade 3-4 toxicities were hypotension in 52% of the patients, arrhythmia (4%), dyspnoea (8%), creatinine rise (4%), peripheral neurotoxicity (10%) and central neurotoxicity (10%). Toxicities most often recovered solely on interrupted therapy. 2 patients died due to catheter-related septicaemia and one patient died of rIL-2 induced renal failure. The study confirmed the antitumour efficacy of rIL-2 in renal cell cancer. Toxicities were numerous, but manageable by close observation in a normal oncology ward without routine use of an intensive care unit.
CitationRecombinant interleukin-2 in metastatic renal cell carcinoma--a European multicentre phase II study. 1991, 27 (12):1583-9 Eur J Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Phase II trial of high-dose intermittent interleukin-2 in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a Southwest Oncology Group study.
- Authors: Bukowski RM, Goodman P, Crawford ED, Sergi JS, Redman BG, Whitehead RP
- Issue date: 1990 Jan 17
- Interleukin-2 with or without LAK cells in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a report of a European multicentre study.
- Authors: Negrier S, Philip T, Stoter G, Fossa SD, Janssen S, Iacone A, Cleton FS, Eremin O, Israel L, Jasmin C
- Issue date: 1989
- A phase I study of prolonged continuous infusion of low dose recombinant interleukin-2 in melanoma and renal cell cancer. Part I: Clinical aspects.
- Authors: Vlasveld LT, Rankin EM, Hekman A, Rodenhuis S, Beijnen JH, Hilton AM, Dubbelman AC, Vyth-Dreese FA, Melief CJ
- Issue date: 1992 May
- Treatment of advanced renal cell cancer with sequential intravenous recombinant interleukin-2 and subcutaneous alpha-interferon.
- Authors: Besana C, Borri A, Bucci E, Citterio G, Di Lucca G, Fortis C, Matteucci P, Tognella S, Tresoldi M, Baiocchi C
- Issue date: 1994
- Treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma by continuous intravenous infusion of recombinant interleukin-2: a single-center phase II study.
- Authors: Geertsen PF, Hermann GG, von der Maase H, Steven K
- Issue date: 1992 May