DNA analysis by flow cytometry in malignant pleural mesothelioma: relationship to histology and survival.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a retrospective study of 70 patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma, 168 formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tumour specimens were examined for DNA content by flow cytometry. In 20 patients where two or more blocks of the same tumour were available, there was considerable agreement between ploidy status and S-phase percentage in the different specimens. There were no significant differences for survival for patients who had been exposed to asbestos and those in whom no exposure could be elicited, nor for aneuploid and diploid tumours. The S-phase content was examined for different areas of the same tumour and the percentages were largely in agreement. However, those patients who had tumours with an S-phase percentage greater than the median (6 per cent) had a significantly shorter survival than those with tumours of lower S-phase percentage. Differences in DNA content and other cell cycle parameters were not associated with the histological subtypes.
CitationDNA analysis by flow cytometry in malignant pleural mesothelioma: relationship to histology and survival. 1990, 162 (1):51-5 J Pathol
JournalThe Journal of Pathology
- Diploid predominance and prognostic significance of S-phase cells in malignant mesothelioma.
- Authors: Pyrhönen S, Laasonen A, Tammilehto L, Rautonen J, Anttila S, Mattson K, Holsti LR
- Issue date: 1991
- Prognostic significance of DNA aneuploidy in diffuse malignant mesothelioma.
- Authors: Isobe H, Sridhar KS, Doria R, Cohen F, Raub WA, Saldana M, Krishan A
- Issue date: 1995 Jan 1
- Prognostic significance of flow cytometric DNA analysis in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Authors: Emri S, Akbulut H, Zorlu F, Dinçol D, Akay H, Güngen Y, Içli F
- Issue date: 2001 Aug-Sep
- Epithelioid pleural mesotheliomas and pulmonary adenocarcinomas: a comparative DNA flow cytometric study.
- Authors: el-Naggar AK, Ordonez NG, Garnsey L, Batsakis JG
- Issue date: 1991 Oct
- Relationship between DNA ploidy and survival in patients with primary breast cancer.
- Authors: Eskelinen MJ, Pajarinen P, Collan Y, Pesonen E, Alhava E, Kettunen K, Nordling S
- Issue date: 1989 Aug