DNA analysis by flow cytometry in malignant pleural mesothelioma: relationship to histology and survival.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a retrospective study of 70 patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma, 168 formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tumour specimens were examined for DNA content by flow cytometry. In 20 patients where two or more blocks of the same tumour were available, there was considerable agreement between ploidy status and S-phase percentage in the different specimens. There were no significant differences for survival for patients who had been exposed to asbestos and those in whom no exposure could be elicited, nor for aneuploid and diploid tumours. The S-phase content was examined for different areas of the same tumour and the percentages were largely in agreement. However, those patients who had tumours with an S-phase percentage greater than the median (6 per cent) had a significantly shorter survival than those with tumours of lower S-phase percentage. Differences in DNA content and other cell cycle parameters were not associated with the histological subtypes.
CitationDNA analysis by flow cytometry in malignant pleural mesothelioma: relationship to histology and survival. 1990, 162 (1):51-5 J Pathol
JournalThe Journal of Pathology
- Prognostic significance of DNA aneuploidy in diffuse malignant mesothelioma.
- Authors: Isobe H, Sridhar KS, Doria R, Cohen F, Raub WA, Saldana M, Krishan A
- Issue date: 1995 Jan 1
- Comparison of flow and image cytometry for DNA content analysis of fresh and formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue in breast carcinoma.
- Authors: Chen TL, Luo I, Mikhail N, Rasková J, Raska K Jr
- Issue date: 1995 Sep 15
- DNA ploidy analysis of pleural mesotheliomas: its usefulness for their distinction from lung adenocarcinomas.
- Authors: Esteban JM, Sheibani K
- Issue date: 1992 Nov
- [DNA ploidy and cell kinetics in cancer of the rectum].
- Authors: Roseano M, Turoldo A, Balani A, Tonello C, Desinan L, Bussani R
- Issue date: 1994 May-Jun
- Prognostic value of DNA flow cytometry in stomach cancer: a 5-year prospective study.
- Authors: Lee KH, Lee JS, Lee JH, Kim SW, Suh C, Kim WK, Kim SH, Min YI, Kim BS, Park KC, Lee MS, Sun HS
- Issue date: 1999 Apr