Ifosfamide, doxorubicin and etoposide in small cell lung cancer patients with poor prognosis.
AuthorsKamthan, A G
Lind, Michael J
Steward, William P
Bronchud, M H
Ranson, Malcolm R
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract61 patients with small cell lung cancer in a poor prognosis group were treated with chemotherapy and with thoracic radiotherapy if they had 'limited stage' disease. No prophylactic cranial irradiation was given. Chemotherapy comprised doxorubicin 50 mg/m2 and ifosfamide 5 g/m2 with mesna on day 1, and etoposide 120 mg/m2 intravenously on days 1 and 2 and 240 mg/m2 orally on day 3. Treatment was repeated every 3 weeks for a maximum of six courses and no dosage reductions were allowed. Complete response rate in limited stage patients was 55% and 16% in extensive stage patients. The partial responses were 38% and 66% respectively. Overall median survival was 10.5 months with 2-year survival of 14%. The corresponding values for limited stage disease were 13 months and 16% and for extensive stage disease 8 months and 13%. Despite the addition of doxorubicin at a somewhat higher dosage than usual in this type of regimen and a policy of no dose reduction, toxicity was generally mild. There was, however, a 19% relapse rate in complete responders in the brain, apparently as the sole site of disease.
CitationIfosfamide, doxorubicin and etoposide in small cell lung cancer patients with poor prognosis. 1990, 26 (6):691-4 Eur J Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Weekly alternating non-cross-resistant chemotherapy for small cell lung cancer with a good prognosis: a study of the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group.
- Authors: Skarlos DV, Samantas E, Pectasides D, Pavlidis N, Kalofonos C, Klouvas G, Panoussaki E, Tsiakopoulos E, Poulakis N, Fountzilas G
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Cisplatin/etoposide versus ifosfamide/etoposide combination chemotherapy in small-cell lung cancer: a multicenter German randomized trial.
- Authors: Wolf M, Havemann K, Holle R, Gropp C, Drings P, Hans K, Schroeder M, Heim M, Dommes M, Mende S
- Issue date: 1987 Dec
- Experience of a German multicenter study group with ifosfamide in small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Havemann K, Wolf M, Drings P, Hans K, Schroeder M, Holle R, Flechtner H, Goerg R, Becker H
- Issue date: 1989 Feb
- A phase II study of ifosfamide in combination with etoposide and cisplatin in the treatment of extensive small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Evans WK, Stewart D, Logan D, Maroun J, Goss G, Shepherd FA, Latreille J, Warner E, Dahrouge S
- Issue date: 1992 Dec
- Cisplatin, ifosfamide, and prolonged oral etoposide in the treatment of patients with extensive small cell lung carcinoma.
- Authors: Glisson B, Lee JS, Palmer J, Fossella F, Shin DM, Murphy WK, Perez-Soler R, Hong WK
- Issue date: 1998 Jan 15