AuthorsSmith, David B
Fox, Brian W
Steward, William P
Scarffe, J Howard
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMethylene dimethane sulfonate is the first member of the homologous series of straight-chain diol sulfonates. It was selected for phase I testing because of high activity in the rat Yoshida sarcoma system and a possible novel site of alkylation due to its small molecular size. Methylene dimethane sulfonate was administered as a rapid iv bolus infusion to 39 patients at doses ranging from 14 to 225 mg/m2. Nausea and vomiting were not severe but total alopecia occurred in the majority of patients at doses greater than 100 mg/m2. The dose-limiting toxic effect was thrombocytopenia, which was cumulative with lower, more prolonged nadirs following successive courses. The median time to platelet count nadir was 21 days, with recovery by 35 days. A minor response was seen in one patient with an adenocarcinoma of the lung. The recommended dose for phase II studies is 125 mg/m2 for patients who have received prior chemotherapy and 150 mg/m2 for those who have not, in an every 35-day schedule.
CitationPhase I clinical trial of methylene dimethane sulfonate. 1987 Sep;71(9):817-20 Cancer Treat Rep
JournalCancer Treatment Reports
- A negative phase II trial methylene dimethane sulphonate in advanced ovarian cancer (Cancer Research Campaign Phase I/II Trials Committee).
- Authors: Smith DB, Lind MJ, Kaye SB, Newlands ES, Blackledge GR, Gibson A
- Issue date: 1988 May
- Activity of JM9 in advanced ovarian cancer: a phase I-II trial.
- Authors: Bramwell VH, Crowther D, O'Malley S, Swindell R, Johnson R, Cooper EH, Thatcher N, Howell A
- Issue date: 1985 Apr
- Phase II trial of methylene dimethane sulphonate (MDMS) in advanced soft tissue sarcomas of the adult. A study of the EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group.
- Authors: Steward WP, Mouridsen HT, Kerbrat P, Somers R, Verweij J, Van Oosterom AT, Blackledge G, Havsteen H, Thomas D, Sylvester R
- Issue date: 1989 Aug
- A dose-seeking trial of edatrexate in combination with vinblastine, adriamycin, cisplatin, and filgrastim (EVAC/G-CSF) in patients with advanced malignancies: promising antineoplastic activity against non-small cell lung carcinomas.
- Authors: Colón-Otero G, Marschke R, Camoriano JK, Sorensen JM, Sloan JA, Richardson RL
- Issue date: 1997 Sep-Oct
- Phase I trial of pentamethylmelamine in patients with previously treated malignancies.
- Authors: Van Echo DA, Chiuten DF, Whitacre M, Aisner J, Lichtenfeld JL, Wiernik PH
- Issue date: 1980