Single-agent paclitaxel in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: single-center phase II study using a 3-hour administration schedule.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, North West Lung Centre, University Hospital of South Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe efficacy and safety of paclitaxel (Taxol; Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Princeton, NJ) administered as a 3-hour infusion was investigated in a phase II study involving 21 patients with stage III/IV non-small cell lung cancer. The study included two quality of life assessments (the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale and the Rotterdam Symptom Checklist) to test their suitability for use in a future randomized phase III trial of paclitaxel and best supportive care versus best supportive care alone. Four (19%) of the 21 patients (95% confidence interval, 8% to 38%) achieved a partial response. The median time to disease progression for all patients entered was 19 weeks. Paclitaxel was well tolerated, with dose reduction required in only one patient because of arthralgia/myalgia. No dose reductions, delays, or discontinuations were required for hematologic toxicity. Completion and compliance with quality of life questionnaires was high, and these research tools proved to be acceptable for future use in phase III studies with paclitaxel.
CitationSingle-agent paclitaxel in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: single-center phase II study using a 3-hour administration schedule. 1997, 24 (4 Suppl 12):S12-6-S12-9 Semin Oncol
JournalSeminars in Oncology
- Chemotherapy of advanced inoperable non-small cell lung cancer with paclitaxel: a phase II trial.
- Authors: Gatzemeier U, Heckmayer M, Neuhauss R, Schlüter I, von Pawel J, Wagner H, Dreps A
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Single-agent paclitaxel by 3-hour infusion in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer: links between p53 and K-ras gene status and chemosensitivity.
- Authors: Rosell R, González-Larriba JL, Alberola V, Molina F, Monzó M, Benito D, Pérez JM, de Anta JM
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Randomized trial of paclitaxel plus supportive care versus supportive care for patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Ranson M, Davidson N, Nicolson M, Falk S, Carmichael J, Lopez P, Anderson H, Gustafson N, Jeynes A, Gallant G, Washington T, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 2000 Jul 5
- Twice-weekly paclitaxel and radiation for stage III non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Lau DH, Ryu JK, Gandara DR, Morgan R, Doroshow J, Wilder R, Leigh B
- Issue date: 1997 Aug
- Preliminary results of a phase I study of weekly paclitaxel infusion in patients with non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Akerley W 3rd, Glantz M, Choy H
- Issue date: 1996 Oct