Carboplatin, ifosfamide and etoposide with mid-course vincristine and thoracic radiotherapy for 'limited' stage small cell carcinoma of the bronchus.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractForty-two patients with small cell lung cancer were treated with a combination of carboplatin, ifosfamide and etoposide. Vincristine was given on day 14 of each course, the courses being repeated every 28 days for a maximum of six. Thoracic radiotherapy was given 4 weeks after the last course of chemotherapy but no prophylactic cranial radiotherapy was administered. Thirty patients had clinically limited state disease, the remaining patients having contralateral neck lymphadenopathy and/or pleural effusions. Elevated enzyme levels (alkaline phosphatase, LDH, ALT, GGT) were noted in 69% of patients. Twenty-four patients (57%) achieved a complete response (CR) when assessed one month after the end of treatment. A further 21% of patients had a partial response (PR). Median duration of CR was 14 months and of PR 8 months. Cerebral metastases were the sole site of relapse in 13% of the CR patients. Myelosuppression was severe with a median nadir of neutropenia of 0.2 x 10(9) cells 1-1. However, 74% of the patient group received all six courses of chemotherapy and only 16 courses (7%) were delayed because of toxicity. There were three deaths associated with treatment-related neutropenia. The median survival of the total group was 14 months, with an actuarial 2 year survival of 37% and a minimum follow-up of 18 months. [A recent analysis, March 1989, demonstrated a 33%, 2 year actual survival.]
CitationCarboplatin, ifosfamide and etoposide with mid-course vincristine and thoracic radiotherapy for 'limited' stage small cell carcinoma of the bronchus. 1989, 60 (1):98-101 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Chemotherapy for small cell lung carcinoma: the Greenlane Hospital experience 1993-1995.
- Authors: Lee YC, McCrystal MR, Christmas TI
- Issue date: 1998 Nov 27
- Interferon-alpha and 13-cis-retinoic acid as maintenance therapy after high-dose combination chemotherapy with growth factor support for small cell lung cancer--a feasibility study.
- Authors: Ruotsalainen T, Halme M, Isokangas OP, Pyrhönen S, Mäntylä M, Pekonen M, Sarna S, Joensuu H, Mattson K
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- Concurrent cisplatin, prolonged oral etoposide, and vincristine plus chest and brain irradiation for limited small cell lung cancer: a phase II study of the Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG-9229).
- Authors: Thomas CR Jr, Giroux DJ, Stelzer KJ, Craig JB, Laufman LR, Taylor SA, Goodwin JW, Crowley JJ, Livingston RB
- Issue date: 1998 Mar 15
- Cisplatin and etoposide alternating ifosfamide, vincristine, epirubicin in small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Unsal M, Erturk D
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Weekly alternating non-cross-resistant chemotherapy for small cell lung cancer with a good prognosis: a study of the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group.
- Authors: Skarlos DV, Samantas E, Pectasides D, Pavlidis N, Kalofonos C, Klouvas G, Panoussaki E, Tsiakopoulos E, Poulakis N, Fountzilas G
- Issue date: 1999 Feb