Carboplatin, ifosfamide and etoposide with mid-course vincristine and thoracic radiotherapy for 'limited' stage small cell carcinoma of the bronchus.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractForty-two patients with small cell lung cancer were treated with a combination of carboplatin, ifosfamide and etoposide. Vincristine was given on day 14 of each course, the courses being repeated every 28 days for a maximum of six. Thoracic radiotherapy was given 4 weeks after the last course of chemotherapy but no prophylactic cranial radiotherapy was administered. Thirty patients had clinically limited state disease, the remaining patients having contralateral neck lymphadenopathy and/or pleural effusions. Elevated enzyme levels (alkaline phosphatase, LDH, ALT, GGT) were noted in 69% of patients. Twenty-four patients (57%) achieved a complete response (CR) when assessed one month after the end of treatment. A further 21% of patients had a partial response (PR). Median duration of CR was 14 months and of PR 8 months. Cerebral metastases were the sole site of relapse in 13% of the CR patients. Myelosuppression was severe with a median nadir of neutropenia of 0.2 x 10(9) cells 1-1. However, 74% of the patient group received all six courses of chemotherapy and only 16 courses (7%) were delayed because of toxicity. There were three deaths associated with treatment-related neutropenia. The median survival of the total group was 14 months, with an actuarial 2 year survival of 37% and a minimum follow-up of 18 months. [A recent analysis, March 1989, demonstrated a 33%, 2 year actual survival.]
CitationCarboplatin, ifosfamide and etoposide with mid-course vincristine and thoracic radiotherapy for 'limited' stage small cell carcinoma of the bronchus. 1989, 60 (1):98-101 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Intensive therapy for small-cell lung cancer using carboplatin alternating with cisplatin, ifosfamide, etoposide, mid-cycle vincristine, and radiotherapy.
- Authors: Prendiville J, Radford J, Thatcher N, Steward W, Ranson M, Burt P, Stout R
- Issue date: 1991 Aug
- Therapy for small cell lung cancer using carboplatin, ifosfamide, etoposide (without dose reduction), mid-cycle vincristine with thoracic and cranial irradiation.
- Authors: Prendiville J, Lorigan P, Hicks F, Leahy B, Stout R, Burt P, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 1994
- Carboplatin, etoposide, and ifosfamide as intensive chemotherapy for small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Smith IE, Perren TJ, Ashley SA, Woodiwiss J, Forgeson GV, Yarnold JR, Ford HT
- Issue date: 1990 May
- Etoposide, carboplatin, cyclophosphamide and vincristine in previously untreated patients with small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Bishop JF, Kefford R, Raghavan D, Zalcberg J, Stuart-Harris R, Ball D, Olver IN, Friedlander M, Bull C, Yuen K
- Issue date: 1990
- Carboplatin in small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Thatcher N, Lind M
- Issue date: 1990 Feb