Ifosfamide, etoposide, and thoracic irradiation therapy in 163 patients with unresectable small cell lung cancer.
Barber, Philip V
Wolstenholme, R J
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOne hundred sixty-three patients with small cell lung cancer were treated with six courses, at 3-week intervals, of ifosfamide (5 g/m2) with mesna and etoposide. Thoracic radiotherapy was delivered to the limited stage (LS) patients. The complete response rate (CR, determined clinically and radiologically) was 76% for the 78 LS patients with a further 14% partial response (PR). The majority of the CRs were confirmed on a follow-up bronchoscopy. The CR rate was 27% for extensive stage (ES) patients with another 38% undergoing a partial response. The median survival for LS patients was 11 months, (16 months for CR confirmed by rebronchoscopy) and 8 months for ES patients. The 2-year actuarial survival for LS patients is 27%, follow-up ranges from 12 months to 30 months with a median of 22 months. Toxicity was not severe for the patient population, of whom only 20% had a good performance status before chemotherapy. Parental antibiotics were required on 4% of all 844 chemotherapy courses and 12% of courses were delayed due to side effects. The majority of responses occurred within the first two courses of chemotherapy and there was a corresponding improvement in the patients' symptoms and performance status. The regimen produced rapid tumor response with corresponding improvement in symptoms without marked toxicity and allowed further treatment development.
CitationIfosfamide, etoposide, and thoracic irradiation therapy in 163 patients with unresectable small cell lung cancer. 1987, 60 (10):2382-7 Cancer
- Weekly alternating non-cross-resistant chemotherapy for small cell lung cancer with a good prognosis: a study of the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group.
- Authors: Skarlos DV, Samantas E, Pectasides D, Pavlidis N, Kalofonos C, Klouvas G, Panoussaki E, Tsiakopoulos E, Poulakis N, Fountzilas G
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Carboplatin, ifosfamide and etoposide with mid-course vincristine and thoracic radiotherapy for 'limited' stage small cell carcinoma of the bronchus.
- Authors: Thatcher N, Lind M, Stout R, Payne C, Carroll KB, Campbell C, Moussalli H
- Issue date: 1989 Jul
- A simple outpatient treatment with oral ifosfamide and oral etoposide for patients with small cell lung cancer (SCLC).
- Authors: Cerny T, Lind M, Thatcher N, Swindell R, Stout R
- Issue date: 1989 Aug
- Concurrent cisplatin-etoposide chemotherapy plus thoracic radiotherapy for limited-stage small cell lung cancer. Japanese Lung Cancer Chemotherapy Group in Japanese Clinical Oncology Group.
- Authors: Ariyoshi Y, Fukuoka M, Furuse K, Saijo N, Ikegami H, Nishiwaki Y, Tamura T, Shimoyama M, Suemasu K
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- Ifosfamide, doxorubicin and etoposide in small cell lung cancer patients with poor prognosis.
- Authors: Kamthan AG, Lind MJ, Thatcher N, Steward WP, Bronchud MH, Ranson MR, Stout R
- Issue date: 1990