AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Medical Oncology, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIMPORTANCE OF THE FIELD: The epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is a leading target for treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Recent trials of the small-molecule EGFR inhibitor gefitinib have now more clearly defined indications for usage, and clinical and molecular factors predictive of benefit. AREAS COVERED IN THIS REVIEW: A systematic search of the literature (Medline, ASCO, WCLC meeting abstracts) was performed from January 2000 to January 2010. The Phase III INTEREST study found gefitinib in unselected, pretreated patients was not inferior to docetaxel chemotherapy in overall survival, offering improved quality of life and superior toxicity profile. The Phase III IPASS study demonstrated improved progression-free survival with gefitinib compared with paclitaxel-carboplatin chemotherapy in chemotherapy-naive, never/light ex-smokers with adenocarcinoma histology. Stratifying for EGFR mutation revealed mutation-positive patients had superior outcomes with gefitinib compared with chemotherapy. Subsequent studies (WJOG4305, NEJ002), selecting only EGFR mutation-positive patients prospectively confirm this finding. WHAT THE READER WILL GAIN: The profile of gefitinib and landmark trials in NSCLC are summarized. How biomarkers may further optimize therapeutic benefit is highlighted. TAKE HOME MESSAGE: Gefitinib is expected to have an important impact on management of pretreated and selected chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced NSCLC. In addition, activating EGFR mutations are proven to be of value for prediction of those who will derive most benefit.
CitationGefitinib for the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer. 2010, 11 (8):1343-57 Expert Opin Pharmacother
JournalExpert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy
- Gefitinib as first-line treatment for patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer with activating epidermal growth factor receptor mutation: Review of the evidence.
- Authors: Gridelli C, De Marinis F, Di Maio M, Cortinovis D, Cappuzzo F, Mok T
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Emerging role of gefitinib in the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
- Authors: Tiseo M, Bartolotti M, Gelsomino F, Bordi P
- Issue date: 2010 May 25
- Gefitinib for the first-line treatment of locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Brown T, Boland A, Bagust A, Oyee J, Hockenhull J, Dundar Y, Dickson R, Ramani VS, Proudlove C
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Gefitinib vs. chemotherapy as first-line therapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: meta-analysis of phase III trials.
- Authors: Ku GY, Haaland BA, de Lima Lopes G Jr
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Gefitinib for the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Hida T, Ogawa S, Park JC, Park JY, Shimizu J, Horio Y, Yoshida K
- Issue date: 2009 Jan