AuthorsWallace, W Hamish B
Crowne, Elizabeth C
Shalet, Stephen M
Littley, M D
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to determine the normal relationship between ACTH and cortisol secretion in children. Fourteen children (nine male, five female; median age 11.3 years) were hospitalized and blood samples were taken every 20 min for 24 h. A circadian rhythm was observed with median 0900 h and midnight ACTH values of 1.80 and less than 0.97 pmol/l, and for cortisol 296 and 62 nmol/l respectively. The median (range) areas under the curve for ACTH and cortisol were 29.7 (9.0-53.8) pmol/l/h and 5114 (3562-8630) nmol/l/h respectively. There were no significant differences detected for ACTH and cortisol secretion between males and females, or between prepubertal (n = 9) and pubertal subjects (n = 5). Using a novel form of time series analysis we have shown that both ACTH and cortisol are secreted with a dominant periodicity of 0.7-1.0 h, representing 24-34 secretory episodes of ACTH and cortisol in 24 h. For cortisol, but not ACTH, there is a significant secondary periodicity of 2-3.2 h. To look for shared periodicities we have used the technique of coherency. This reveals that for six of the children ACTH and cortisol are secreted with a significant shared periodicity of 0.8-1.0 h, and for a further five children a similar secondary shared periodicity is present. Therefore in normal children ACTH and cortisol secretion are interdependent and episodic but are not influenced by either pubertal status or gender.
CitationEpisodic ACTH and cortisol secretion in normal children. 1991, 34 (3):215-21 Clin. Endocrinol.
- Adrenocorticotrophin and cortisol secretion in children after low dose cranial irradiation.
- Authors: Crowne EC, Wallace WH, Gibson S, Moore CM, White A, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- Pulsatile rhythms of adrenocorticotropin (ACTH) and cortisol in women with endogenous depression: evidence for increased ACTH pulse frequency.
- Authors: Mortola JF, Liu JH, Gillin JC, Rasmussen DD, Yen SS
- Issue date: 1987 Nov
- Effect of cyproheptadine on episodic ACTH and cortisol secretion.
- Authors: Schürmeyer TH, Brademann G, Von Zur Mühlen A
- Issue date: 1996 May
- The effect of dexamethasone on the 24-hour profiles of adrenocorticotropin and cortisol in Cushing's syndrome.
- Authors: Refetoff S, Van Cauter E, Fang VS, Laderman C, Graybeal ML, Landau RL
- Issue date: 1985 Mar
- Patterns of ACTH and cortisol pulsatility over twenty-four hours in normal males and females.
- Authors: Horrocks PM, Jones AF, Ratcliffe WA, Holder G, White A, Holder R, Ratcliffe JG, London DR
- Issue date: 1990 Jan