A low-temperature method for the isolation of small-intestinal epithelium along the crypt-villus axis.
AffiliationDepartment of Epithelial Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA variety of enzymic and non-enzymic methods to isolate epithelium from the small intestine have been previously published. Sequential fractionation of cells from the villus to the crypt has been reported in some of these papers, which allows the comparative study of terminally differentiated and proliferative cell phenotypes. However, these methods often involve the incubation of tissues at 37 degrees C, which may affect the structural and biochemical integrity of the cells. We have developed a rapid low-temperature (4 degrees C) method for isolating purified populations of crypt and villus cells from mouse and rat intestines. The fractionated cells have been partially characterized, and the potential value of the procedure has been indicated by the ability to analyse the comparative protein and mRNA expression along the crypt-villus axis.
CitationA low-temperature method for the isolation of small-intestinal epithelium along the crypt-villus axis. 1991, 280 ( Pt 2):331-4 Biochem. J.
- Isolation of intestinal epithelial cells for the study of differential gene expression along the crypt-villus axis.
- Authors: Traber PG, Gumucio DL, Wang W
- Issue date: 1991 Jun
- Sucrase-isomaltase gene expression along crypt-villus axis of human small intestine is regulated at level of mRNA abundance.
- Authors: Traber PG, Yu L, Wu GD, Judge TA
- Issue date: 1992 Jan
- Gs and Gi protein subunits during cell differentiation in intestinal crypt-villus axis: regulation at the mRNA level.
- Authors: Couvineau A, Darmoul D, Blais A, Rouyer-Fessard C, Daviaud D, Voisin T, Paris H, Rouot B, Laburthe M
- Issue date: 1992 Jun
- Cytokeratin expression in epithelial cells isolated from the crypt and villus regions of the rodent small intestine.
- Authors: Flint N, Pemberton PW, Lobley RW, Evans GS
- Issue date: 1994 Jan
- Regulation of brush-border enzyme activities and enterocyte migration rates in mouse small intestine.
- Authors: Ferraris RP, Villenas SA, Diamond J
- Issue date: 1992 Jun