AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExpression of HLA class I (-like) genes by two developmental tumour cell lines representing embryonic (Tera-2) and extra-embryonic (Jeg-3) origins is reviewed. The Tera-2 embryonal carcinoma cells are HLA negative but can be induced by gamma interferon to express HLA-A, -B, -C, and apparently -E and G genes. Jeg-3 choriocarcinoma cells constitutively express HLA-G and low levels of a novel HLA-C gene product. The NK sensitivity of the developmental tumour cell types has been assessed and the biochemical characteristics of the surface molecules expressed by the trophoblast derived cells has been further documented. The biological role of these novel HLA molecules in the context of the maternal acceptance of the fetal-semi-allograft is discussed.
CitationThe role of MHC class I expression in developmental tumours. 1991, 2 (1):11-6 Semin. Cancer Biol.
JournalSeminars in Cancer Biology
- Differential expression of the HLA class I multigene family by human embryonal carcinoma and choriocarcinoma cell lines.
- Authors: Rinke de Wit TF, Vloemans S, van den Elsen PJ, Haworth A, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1990 Feb 1
- [Influence of HLA class I molecules expression on tumor cell resistance to NK lysis and the IFN-gamma regulatory effect].
- Authors: Zhang C, Tian Z, Hou G
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Surface expression of HLA-C antigen by human extravillous trophoblast.
- Authors: King A, Burrows TD, Hiby SE, Bowen JM, Joseph S, Verma S, Lim PB, Gardner L, Le Bouteiller P, Ziegler A, Uchanska-Ziegler B, Loke YW
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Trophoblast cell line resistance to NK lysis mainly involves an HLA class I-independent mechanism.
- Authors: Avril T, Jarousseau AC, Watier H, Boucraut J, Le Bouteiller P, Bardos P, Thibault G
- Issue date: 1999 May 15
- Susceptibility of MHC class I expressing extravillous trophoblast cell lines to killing by natural killer cells.
- Authors: Zdravkovic M, Aboagye-Mathiesen G, Guimond MJ, Hager H, Ebbesen P, Lala PK
- Issue date: 1999 Jul-Aug