Preferential rearrangement of developmentally regulated immunoglobulin VH1 genes in human B-lineage leukaemias.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImmunoglobulin heavy chain (IgH) variable region (VH) genes are rearranged and expressed in a programmed manner during B-cell development. In common with foetal/pre-immune B-cells, malignant B-lymphoid populations preferentially use a restricted repertoire of developmentally regulated VH genes. By nucleotide sequence analysis of polymerase chain reaction amplified IgH genes, we have compared the repertoire of VH1 family genes that are rearranged in mature, CD5+ B chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) with that in immature, CD5-B-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL). The results revealed a non-random pattern pf VH1 usage in which no single VH1 family member was common to each of these disease groups. The VH1 gene, 51P1, which underlies an auto-antibody associated cross-reactive idiotype, 'G6', frequently expressed on foetal B-cells, was preferentially rearranged in CLL (three of nine rearranged alleles). Another developmentally regulated VH1 gene, 20P3, accounted for more than half of the VH1 specific IgH gene rearrangements in ALL (five of nine VH1 alleles). Such developmentally restricted VH1 genes may distinguish discrete, although not necessarily exclusive, stages or compartments in B-lymphopoiesis from which each of these disease types arise.
CitationPreferential rearrangement of developmentally regulated immunoglobulin VH1 genes in human B-lineage leukaemias. 1991, 5 (8):646-50 Leukemia
- Immunoglobulin heavy chain variable region family usage is independent of tumor cell phenotype in human B lineage leukemias.
- Authors: Deane M, Norton JD
- Issue date: 1990 Oct
- Developmentally restricted immunoglobulin heavy chain variable region gene expressed at high frequency in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Authors: Kipps TJ, Tomhave E, Pratt LF, Duffy S, Chen PP, Carson DA
- Issue date: 1989 Aug
- Ig VH1 genes expressed in B cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia exhibit distinctive molecular features.
- Authors: Johnson TA, Rassenti LZ, Kipps TJ
- Issue date: 1997 Jan 1
- Analysis of VH gene expression in CD5+ and CD5- B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Authors: Maloum K, Davi F, Magnac C, Pritsch O, McIntyre E, Valensi F, Binet JL, Merle-Béral H, Dighiero G
- Issue date: 1995 Nov 15
- V(H) gene usage differs in germline and mutated B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Authors: Duke VM, Gandini D, Sherrington PD, Lin K, Heelan B, Amlot P, Mehta AB, Hoffbrand AV, Foroni L
- Issue date: 2003 Nov