Diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma by means of recombinant Epstein-Barr virus proteins.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Laboratories, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe immune response of patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma to Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) antigens is diagnostic of the tumour. Existing tests use EBV antigens produced in EBV-infected lymphoblastoid cells, but the virus replicates poorly in these cells. Serum samples from 18 patients diagnosed as having nasopharyngeal carcinoma were screened by western blot analysis, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), and immunofluorescence tests for antibodies to the EBV-coded alkaline deoxyribonuclease (DNase), thymidine kinase, and membrane antigen (gp340/220) produced in recombinant baculovirus or bovine papillomavirus systems. Each protein was a useful diagnostic marker for nasopharyngeal carcinoma, although in the gp340/220 ELISAs there was substantial overlap for both IgG and IgA antibodies between serum samples from nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients and those from healthy donors seropositive for EBV. The EBV thymidine kinase was the most sensitive predictor of nasopharyngeal carcinoma; all such samples showed both IgG and IgA antibody responses to this protein and all gave clearly distinct titres from those of the EBV-seropositive donors in the IgA test. Each of the recombinant systems described is suitable for use in large-scale screening programmes for the early diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
CitationDiagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma by means of recombinant Epstein-Barr virus proteins. 1991, 337 (8743):685-9 Lancet
- Salivary and serum IgA antibodies to the Epstein-Barr virus glycoprotein gp340: incidence and potential for virus neutralization.
- Authors: Yao QY, Rowe M, Morgan AJ, Sam CK, Prasad U, Dang H, Zeng Y, Rickinson AB
- Issue date: 1991 Apr 22
- Native early antigen of Epstein-Barr virus, a promising antigen for diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Paramita DK, Fachiroh J, Artama WT, van Benthem E, Haryana SM, Middeldorp JM
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- [Demonstration of IgG- and IgA-antibodies against Epstein-Barr virus-associated antigens with a microtiter enzyme immunoassay system. The determination of serum antibodies against the viral capsid antigen and the early antigen complex in the sera of tumor and infectious mononucleosis patients].
- Authors: Dölken G, Bitzer M, Bross KJ, Brugger W, Boldt C, Hirsch FW, Weitzmann U, Löhr GW
- Issue date: 1984 Nov 30
- Significance of specific Epstein-Barr virus IgA and elevated IgG antibodies to viral capsid antigens in nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients.
- Authors: Hadar T, Rahima M, Kahan E, Sidi J, Rakowsky E, Sarov B, Sarov I
- Issue date: 1986 Dec
- Single-assay combination of Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) EBNA1- and viral capsid antigen-p18-derived synthetic peptides for measuring anti-EBV immunoglobulin G (IgG) and IgA antibody levels in sera from nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients: options for field screening.
- Authors: Fachiroh J, Paramita DK, Hariwiyanto B, Harijadi A, Dahlia HL, Indrasari SR, Kusumo H, Zeng YS, Schouten T, Mubarika S, Middeldorp JM
- Issue date: 2006 Apr