AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA technique has been developed for transplanting whole thyroid follicles into the fat pads of recipient thyroidectomized rats to assess the ability of the follicular cells to proliferate and form colonies, i.e., clusters of new follicles. Of the transplanted follicles, 80-90% formed follicle clusters, indicative of the presence of transplanted follicles not containing colony-forming cells (clonogens) or some reproducible degree of transplantation trauma. The initial number of clonogens per regenerative follicle was calculated from data from split-dose experiments to be 3.3 +/- 1.5, and their sensitivity was characterized by a D0 value of 350 +/- 95 cGy. Three clonogens among about 80 epithelial cells per regenerative follicle and the 10-20% of nonregenerative follicles represent an overall colony-forming efficiency of about 3%. This is similar to the value of 2-3% reported by others using single-cell transplantation techniques.
CitationClonogen number and radiosensitivity in rat thyroid follicles. 1991, 128 (2):222-4 Radiat. Res.
- The effect of proliferative status and clonogen content on the response of mouse jejunal crypts to split-dose irradiation.
- Authors: Thames HD, Ruifrok AC, Mason KA
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- Variation in the sensitivity of the mouse spermatogonial stem cell population to fission neutron irradiation during the cycle of the seminiferous epithelium.
- Authors: van Beek ME, Davids JA, de Rooij DG
- Issue date: 1986 Dec
- Radiosensitivity of human bone marrow granulocyte-macrophage progenitor cells and stromal colony-forming cells: effect of dose rate.
- Authors: FitzGerald TJ, McKenna M, Rothstein L, Daugherty C, Kase K, Greenberger JS
- Issue date: 1986 Aug
- Radiosensitivity of murine hemopoietic colony-forming units assayed in situ in the rib and in other marrow sites.
- Authors: Hendry JH, Schofield R, Bwire NE
- Issue date: 1986 Mar
- [Determination of the radiosensitivity of interphase-dying cells in the thymus, spleen and bone marrow of rats by flow cytometry].
- Authors: Umanskiĭ SR, Afanas'ev VN, Korol' BA, Pechatnikov VA
- Issue date: 1986 Nov-Dec