Cellular immune recognition of HLA-G-expressing choriocarcinoma cell line Jeg-3.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractJeg-3 choriocarcinoma cells express class-I MHC HLA-G and low levels of a novel HLA-C product. The functional significance of such novel MHC class-I expression in regard of the cellular immune response has been investigated. Jeg-3 cells are NK-insensitive, but susceptible to LAK cytotoxicity, some of which is mediated by T cells. No Jeg-3-specific CTL or proliferative responses could be generated in allogeneic responder PBMC from several different donors. There was no detectable xenogeneic recognition of Jeg-3 cells even when preceded by in vivo priming. Jeg-3 cells are able to suppress proliferative responses in humans and others species. This is not reproduced by conditioned medium from the Jeg-3 cells, but can be overridden by IL-2. The ability of the Jeg-3 choriocarcinoma (trophoblast) cells to suppress in the MLR may reflect the processes which are shared to enable the survival of the foetus in a semi-allogeneic mother or a tumour in its host. It is not clear whether there is any relationship between the unusual class-I-MHC expression by trophoblast and the putative regulatory properties of the latter.
CitationCellular immune recognition of HLA-G-expressing choriocarcinoma cell line Jeg-3. 1991, 6:117-22 Int. J. Cancer Suppl.
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer. Supplement
- Trophoblast cell line resistance to NK lysis mainly involves an HLA class I-independent mechanism.
- Authors: Avril T, Jarousseau AC, Watier H, Boucraut J, Le Bouteiller P, Bardos P, Thibault G
- Issue date: 1999 May 15
- The role of MHC class I expression in developmental tumours.
- Authors: Stern PL, Rinke de Wit TF
- Issue date: 1991 Feb
- Calreticulin associates with non-HLA-A,-B class I proteins in the human choriocarcinoma cell lines JEG-3 and BeWo.
- Authors: Wainwright SD, Simpson KL, Holmes CH
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Susceptibility of MHC class I expressing extravillous trophoblast cell lines to killing by natural killer cells.
- Authors: Zdravkovic M, Aboagye-Mathiesen G, Guimond MJ, Hager H, Ebbesen P, Lala PK
- Issue date: 1999 Jul-Aug
- HLA-E-restricted recognition of human cytomegalovirus by a subset of cytolytic T lymphocytes.
- Authors: Romagnani C, Pietra G, Falco M, Mazzarino P, Moretta L, Mingari MC
- Issue date: 2004 May