Serum-free culture of enriched murine haemopoietic stem cells. II: Effects of growth factors and haemin on development.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA serum-free culture system was used to determine the effects of growth factors on the clonogenic development of a population of cells highly enriched for multipotential day 12 spleen colony forming cells (CFU-S) (FACS-BM). Under these conditions, interleukin-3 (IL-3) was found to be primarily a proliferative stimulus, the progenitor cells developing in the clonal assay systems produced colonies of morphologically undifferentiated cells for up to 20 days. No such induction of proliferation without maturation was observed with other growth factors (eg. granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF)). However, combinations of IL-3 plus secondary growth factors such as GM-CSF, macrophage colony stimulating factor (M-CSF), granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) or interleukin-1 (IL-1) led to the formation of colonies containing mature haemopoietic cells of the granulocytic, megakaryocytic or monocytic lineages. In contrast, erythroid development did not occur unless the protoporphyrin, haemin, was added to the cultures. Under these conditions mature erythroid cells were produced in cultures containing either IL-3 or GM-CSF (with or without erythropoietin (epo)). In replating experiments it was determined that the FACS-BM cells were able to generate large numbers of clonogenic cells for up to 30-40 free cultures. Such cultures, therefore, may be useful for investigating the biological and basis of the generation of clonogenic cells and of haemopoietic cell differentiation and development in response to growth factors.
CitationSerum-free culture of enriched murine haemopoietic stem cells. II: Effects of growth factors and haemin on development. 1991, 4 (3):165-73 Growth Factors
- Interleukin-6 interacts with interleukin-4 and other hematopoietic growth factors to selectively enhance the growth of megakaryocytic, erythroid, myeloid, and multipotential progenitor cells.
- Authors: Rennick D, Jackson J, Yang G, Wideman J, Lee F, Hudak S
- Issue date: 1989 May 15
- Multi-level effects of flt3 ligand on human hematopoiesis: expansion of putative stem cells and proliferation of granulomonocytic progenitors/monocytic precursors.
- Authors: Gabbianelli M, Pelosi E, Montesoro E, Valtieri M, Luchetti L, Samoggia P, Vitelli L, Barberi T, Testa U, Lyman S
- Issue date: 1995 Sep 1
- Serum-free culture of enriched murine haemopoietic stem cells. I: Effect of haemopoietic growth factors on proliferation.
- Authors: Cormier F, Ponting IL, Heyworth CM, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1991
- The in vitro effect of high-dose recombinant human erythropoietin on granulocyte-macrophage colony production in premature infants using a defined serum deprived cell culture system.
- Authors: Ward CS, Westwood NB, Emmerson AJ, Pearson TC
- Issue date: 1992 Jul
- Stem cell factor directly stimulates the development of enriched granulocyte-macrophage colony-forming cells and promotes the effects of other colony-stimulating factors.
- Authors: Heyworth CM, Whetton AD, Nicholls S, Zsebo K, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1992 Nov 1