The Chinese hamster HPRT gene: restriction map, sequence analysis, and multiplex PCR deletion screen.
AffiliationInstitute of Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe fine structure of the Chinese hamster hypoxanthine guanine phosphoribosyltransferase (HPRT) gene has been determined; the gene has nine exons and is dispersed over 36 kb DNA. Exons 2-9 are contained within overlapping lambda bacteriophage clones and exon 1 was obtained by an inverse polymerase chain reaction (PCR). All the exons have been sequenced, together with their immediate flanking regions, and these sequences compared to those of the mouse and human HPRT genes. Sequences immediately flanking all exons but the first show considerable homology between the different species but the region around exon 1 is less conserved, apart from the preserved location of putative functional elements. Oligonucleotide primers derived from sequences flanking the HPRT gene exons were used to amplify simultaneously seven exon-containing fragments in a multiplex PCR. This simple procedure was used to identify total and partial gene deletions among Chinese hamster HPRT-deficient mutants. The multiplex PCR is quicker to perform than Southern analysis, traditionally used to study such mutants, and also provides specific exon-containing fragments for further analysis. The Chinese hamster HPRT gene is often used as a target for mutation studies in vitro because of the ease of selection of forward and reverse mutants; the information presented here will enhance the means of investigating molecular defects within this gene.
CitationThe Chinese hamster HPRT gene: restriction map, sequence analysis, and multiplex PCR deletion screen. 1991, 9 (2):247-56 Genomics
- Polymerase chain reaction-based comprehensive procedure for the analysis of the mutation spectrum at the hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase locus in Chinese hamster cells.
- Authors: Yu YJ, Xu Z, Gibbs RA, Hsie AW
- Issue date: 1992
- Characterization of hprt splicing mutations induced by the ultimate carcinogenic metabolite of benzo[a]pyrene in Chinese hamster V-79 cells.
- Authors: Hennig EE, Conney AH, Wei SJ
- Issue date: 1995 Apr 1
- Mutation screening of bleomycin-induced V79 Chinese hamster hprt mutants using multiplex polymerase chain reaction.
- Authors: Köberle B, Haupter S, Just W, Speit G
- Issue date: 1991 Nov
- Molecular nature of spontaneous mutations at the hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase (hprt) locus in Chinese hamster ovary cells.
- Authors: Xu Z, Yu Y, Schwartz JL, Meltz ML, Hsie AW
- Issue date: 1995
- Analysis of X-ray-induced HPRT mutations in CHO cells: insertion and deletions.
- Authors: Fuscoe JC, Zimmerman LJ, Fekete A, Setzer RW, Rossiter BJ
- Issue date: 1992 Oct