Identification and partial characterisation of a low Mr collagen synthesised by bovine retinal pericytes. Apparent relationship to type X collagen.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBovine retinal pericytes (BRP) in culture synthesise a low Mr collagenous polypeptide which appears similar, but not identical, to bovine type X collagen and which we have called 'BRP collagen'. This polypeptide displays the following characteristics: (i) it is sensitive to digestion by bacterial collagenase and is resistant to pepsin digestion; (ii) it has an apparent Mr of 45 kDa (pepsinised form); (iii) it is recognised by specific antibodies to type X collagen using immunoblotting; (iv) it is present in the cell layer/matrix but not in the medium of pericyte cultures; and (v) it is not disulphide-bonded into higher Mr multimers. The latter two properties distinguish BRP collagen from bovine type X collagen. We have recently shown that pericytes calcify in vitro. We now report that this calcification is associated with an increased synthesis of BRP collagen.
CitationIdentification and partial characterisation of a low Mr collagen synthesised by bovine retinal pericytes. Apparent relationship to type X collagen. 1991, 286 (1-2):171-5 FEBS Lett.
- Differentiation of pericytes in culture is accompanied by changes in the extracellular matrix.
- Authors: Schor AM, Canfield AE, Sloan P, Schor SL
- Issue date: 1991 Aug
- Modulation of extracellular matrix biosynthesis by bovine retinal pericytes in vitro: effects of the substratum and cell density.
- Authors: Canfield AE, Allen TD, Grant ME, Schor SL, Schor AM
- Issue date: 1990 May
- Heterogeneity in collagen biosynthesis by sprouting retinal endothelial cells.
- Authors: Canfield AE, Schor AM
- Issue date: 1994 Apr
- Collagen production by cultured retinal capillary pericytes.
- Authors: Cohen MP, Frank RN, Khalifa AA
- Issue date: 1980 Jan
- Collagens of the retinal microvascular basement membrane and of retinal microvascular cells in vitro.
- Authors: Kennedy A, Frank RN, Mancini MA, Lande M
- Issue date: 1986 Feb