The effects on hematopoiesis of recombinant stem cell factor (ligand for c-kit) administered in vivo to mice either alone or in combination with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStem cell factor (SCF) is the ligand for the receptor encoded by the c-kit proto-oncogene. Mutations of either c-kit or the SCF gene are responsible for the defects of W and SI mutant mice, which both suffer a macrocytic anemia, the former associated with defective stem cells and the latter with a defective hematopoietic microenvironment. PEGylated recombinant rat SCF was administered to normal or splenectomized mice for up to 21 days. SCF was found to be a modest stimulator of peripheral blood neutrophil numbers in both groups of animals. The peak in neutrophil numbers was higher and occurred earlier in splenectomized mice. Bone marrow and spleen cellularity changed little during treatment but the content of interleukin-3-responsive progenitor cells and spleen colony-forming cells (CFU-S) reached very high levels, particularly in the spleen. Using recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (rhG-CSF), we have shown that SCF induces a greater than additive increase in both blood neutrophils and blood-borne CFU-S. This synergy was seen throughout the dose range and may indicate a clinical role for SCF either alone or in augmenting the activity of G-CSF upon blood neutrophils and transplantable stem cells.
CitationThe effects on hematopoiesis of recombinant stem cell factor (ligand for c-kit) administered in vivo to mice either alone or in combination with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. 1991, 78 (4):961-6 Blood
- In vivo and in vitro stem cell function of c-kit- and Sca-1-positive murine hematopoietic cells.
- Authors: Okada S, Nakauchi H, Nagayoshi K, Nishikawa S, Miura Y, Suda T
- Issue date: 1992 Dec 15
- Effect of stem cell factor with and without granulocyte colony-stimulating factor on neonatal hematopoiesis: in vivo induction of newborn myelopoiesis and reduction of mortality during experimental group B streptococcal sepsis.
- Authors: Cairo MS, Plunkett JM, Nguyen A, van de Ven C
- Issue date: 1992 Jul 1
- Effect of stem cell factor (c-kit ligand), granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor and interleukin 3 on hematopoietic progenitors in human long-term bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Lemoli RM, Gulati SC
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- Granulocyte-colony stimulating factor, granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor, PIXY-321, stem cell factor, interleukin-3, and interleukin-7: receptor binding and effects on clonogenic proliferation in acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Drach D, Estrov Z, Zhao S, Drach J, Cork A, Collins D, Kantarjian H, Andreeff M
- Issue date: 1994 Dec
- Efficient retrovirus transduction of mouse pluripotent hematopoietic stem cells mobilized into the peripheral blood by treatment with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and stem cell factor.
- Authors: Bodine DM, Seidel NE, Gale MS, Nienhuis AW, Orlic D
- Issue date: 1994 Sep 1