Expression of the GM-CSF gene after retroviral transfer in hematopoietic stem cell lines induces synchronous granulocyte-macrophage differentiation.
AffiliationHeinrich-Pette-Institut für Experimentelle Virologie und Immunologie, Universität Hamburg, Federal Republic of Germany.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMultipotent murine stem cell lines (FDC-Pmix) depend on IL-3 for self-renewal and proliferation and can be induced to differentiate into multiple hematopoietic lineages. Single FDC-Pmix cells infected with retroviral vectors expressing GM-CSF are induced to differentiate into granulocytes and macrophages. This results in a complete loss of clonogenic cells if IL-3 is not exogenously supplied; however, multipotent variants can be selected that do not terminally differentiate if cells are kept in the presence of IL-3. Unidirectional and synchronous granulocyte and macrophage differentiation accompanied with loss of self-renewal capacity is induced when IL-3 is removed. Our data indicate that activation of the GM-CSF receptor induces differentiation of stem cells by an instructive mechanism that can be blocked by the activated IL-3 receptor. A model of how receptors can induce proliferation and cell-specific differentiation by two separate pathways is discussed.
CitationExpression of the GM-CSF gene after retroviral transfer in hematopoietic stem cell lines induces synchronous granulocyte-macrophage differentiation. 1991, 64 (6):1163-73 Cell
- PU.1 regulates both cytokine-dependent proliferation and differentiation of granulocyte/macrophage progenitors.
- Authors: DeKoter RP, Walsh JC, Singh H
- Issue date: 1998 Aug 3
- Transcriptional regulation of the c-fms proto-oncogene mediated by granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) in murine cell lines.
- Authors: Helftenbein G, Krusekopf K, Just U, Cross M, Ostertag W, Niemann H, Tamura T
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 15
- Mutants of a multipotent hematopoietic cell line blocked in GM-CSF-induced differentiation are leukemogenic in vivo.
- Authors: Just U, Spooncer E, Löhler J, Stocking C, Ostertag W, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- Differential regulation of primitive human hematopoietic cells in long-term cultures maintained on genetically engineered murine stromal cells.
- Authors: Sutherland HJ, Eaves CJ, Lansdorp PM, Thacker JD, Hogge DE
- Issue date: 1991 Aug 1
- Targeted in vivo infection with a retroviral vector carrying the interleukin-3 (multi-CSF) gene leads to immortalization and leukemic transformation of primitive hematopoietic progenitor cells.
- Authors: Just U, Katsuno M, Stocking C, Spooncer E, Dexter M
- Issue date: 1993