Assessment of P-glycoprotein, glutathione-based detoxifying enzymes and O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase as potential indicators of constitutive drug resistance in human colorectal tumors.
AffiliationInstitute for Clinical & Experimental Cancer Research, Berne, Switzerland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDrug resistance is a major problem in cancer chemotherapy. Treatment protocols generally include a number of different cytotoxic drugs given in combination. Therefore, drug resistance in the tumor is likely to result from the coexpression of several cellular activities able to prevent cell killing by any of the drugs used. In this study we have measured several potential drug resistance mechanisms consisting of the multidrug resistance gene product P-glycoprotein, glutathione, glutathione-transferase and -peroxidase, and the DNA repair enzyme O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase in samples of colon carcinoma and normal adjacent mucosa from 23 untreated patients. All of these, with the exception of P-glycoprotein, showed significant increases in tumor tissue levels when compared with normal tissue from the same patient. The significance was highest for glutathione peroxidase (P less than or equal to 0.0005). Individual patients, however, showed very different patterns, with none, several, or all monitored resistance mechanisms elevated in the tumor. The implications both in the choice of drugs and in the use of resistance modifying agents to improve therapy for the individual patient are discussed.
CitationAssessment of P-glycoprotein, glutathione-based detoxifying enzymes and O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase as potential indicators of constitutive drug resistance in human colorectal tumors. 1991, 51 (8):2092-7 Cancer Res.
- Multiple drug resistance parameter expression in ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Joncourt F, Buser K, Altermatt H, Bacchi M, Oberli A, Cerny T
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Determinants of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in human colon cancer.
- Authors: Gerson SL, Allay E, Vitantonio K, Dumenco LL
- Issue date: 1995 May
- Mechanisms of resistance of human small cell lung cancer lines selected in VP-16 and cisplatin.
- Authors: Jain N, Lam YM, Pym J, Campling BG
- Issue date: 1996 May 1
- Cytostatic drug resistance: parallel assessment of glutathione-based detoxifying enzymes, O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase and P-glycoprotein in adult patients with leukaemia.
- Authors: Joncourt F, Oberli A, Redmond SM, Fey MF, Tobler A, Margison GP, Gratwohl A, Buser K, Cerny T
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- O6-Alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in normal colon tissue and colon cancer.
- Authors: White A, Kibitel J, Garcia Y, Belanich M, Yarosh D, Wideroff J, Levin L, Held D, Fuchs A, Citron M
- Issue date: 1997