In vitro assessment of marrow 'stem cell' and stromal cell function in aplastic anaemia.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn in vitro model system is described that allows separate assessment of 'stem cell' and stromal cell function in aplastic anaemia (AA). Seven patients with non-severe AA, who had responded to immunosuppressive therapy and had haematological evidence of residual marrow function, were studied. Of these, three with otherwise typical AA had an acquired clonal cytogenetic marker. Purified bone marrow haemopoietic progenitors labelled with CD34 monoclonal antibody were positively selected using the fluorescence activated cell sorter (FACS) from both normal subjects and from patients with AA. The generative capacity of the CD34 positive cells was assessed by monitoring the output of granulocyte/macrophage colony forming cells (CFU-GM) in the non-adherent layer after inoculation onto irradiated performed long-term marrow culture (LTBMC) stromas. Stromal function in AA was assessed by inoculating CD34 positive cells from normal bone marrow onto performed irradiated stromas from patients with AA. Haemopoietic cell ('stem cell') function in AA was assessed by inoculating CD34 positive cells from AA patients onto confluent irradiated normal marrow stromas. Using these crossover/LTBMC experiments, all patients exhibited severe defects in haemopoietic cell function with normal functioning stroma. The proportion of CD34 positive cells present in bone marrow from these patients was reduced compared with controls, they comprised fewer small primitive 'blast-like' cells which in normal bone marrow are known to possess marrow repopulating ability, and demonstrated reduced clonogenic potential in short-term colony assays.
CitationIn vitro assessment of marrow 'stem cell' and stromal cell function in aplastic anaemia. 1991, 78 (2):258-67 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- The hematopoietic defect in aplastic anemia assessed by long-term marrow culture.
- Authors: Marsh JC, Chang J, Testa NG, Hows JM, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1990 Nov 1
- Immunosuppressive therapy in bone marrow aplasia: the stroma functions normally to support hematopoiesis.
- Authors: Novitzky N, Jacobs P
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Haemopoietic growth factor production by normal and aplastic anaemia stroma in long-term bone marrow culture.
- Authors: Gibson FM, Scopes J, Daly S, Ball S, Gordon-Smith EC
- Issue date: 1995 Nov
- Phenotypic and functional analysis of bone marrow progenitor cell compartment in bone marrow failure.
- Authors: Maciejewski JP, Anderson S, Katevas P, Young NS
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- A severe and consistent deficit in marrow and circulating primitive hematopoietic cells (long-term culture-initiating cells) in acquired aplastic anemia.
- Authors: Maciejewski JP, Selleri C, Sato T, Anderson S, Young NS
- Issue date: 1996 Sep 15