Isolation and cDNA cloning of a rat O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase gene, molecular analysis of expression in rat liver.
AuthorsPotter, P M
Rafferty, Joseph A
Wilkinson, M C
Cooper, Donald P
O'Connor, Peter J
Margison, Geoffrey P
AffiliationCRC Department of Chemical Carcinogenesis, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA rat O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase (ATase) cDNA has been isolated from a rat liver cDNA library by hybridization with the human homologue. The candidate 806 bp cDNA was sequenced and shown to contain a 630 bp open reading frame that could encode a protein of 22.2 kd. Fluorography of labelled ATase indicates a 24 kd protein which is consistent with several previous reports. The derived amino acid sequence demonstrated 81% similarity with the human ATase and 94% identity over a 67 residue region encompassing the putative alkyl acceptor site. Peptide sequences derived from cleaved homogeneous rat ATase have been located in the predicted protein providing additional confirmation of the identity of the cDNA. A 1.05 kb mRNA has been detected in rat liver by Northern analysis; treatment of adult rats with 2-acetylaminofluorene causes an approximately 10-fold induction of this message in liver. Following site directed mutagenesis of the 806 bp cDNA, the 630 bp protein coding sequence has been ligated into an Escherichia coli expression vector to achieve ATase levels of greater than 3% of total protein in bacterial extracts.
CitationIsolation and cDNA cloning of a rat O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase gene, molecular analysis of expression in rat liver. 1991, 12 (4):727-33 Carcinogenesis
- Characterisation and nucleotide sequence of ogt, the O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase gene of E. coli.
- Authors: Potter PM, Wilkinson MC, Fitton J, Carr FJ, Brennand J, Cooper DP, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1987 Nov 25
- cDNA cloning of the rat O6-methylguanine-DNA-methyltransferase.
- Authors: Rahden-Staron I, Laval F
- Issue date: 1991 Jun 14
- cDNA cloning and chromosomal assignment of the human O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase. cDNA expression in Escherichia coli and gene expression in human cells.
- Authors: Rydberg B, Spurr N, Karran P
- Issue date: 1990 Jun 5
- Isolation and partial characterization of murine O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase: comparative sequence and structural properties.
- Authors: Santibanez-Koref M, Elder RH, Fan CY, Cawkwell L, McKie JH, Douglas KT, Margison GP, Rafferty JA
- Issue date: 1992
- Characterization of cDNA encoding mouse DNA repair protein O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase and high-level expression of the wild-type and mutant proteins in Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Shiota S, von Wronski MA, Tano K, Bigner DD, Brent TP, Mitra S
- Issue date: 1992 Feb 25