The decay of autoradiographic grain number over crypt base columnar cells in murine ileum as a measure of their generation time.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathophysiology, Institute of Rheumatology, Warsaw, Poland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe decay in the number of grains over [3H]-thymidine labelled crypt base columnar cells (BCC) in autoradiographs of the ileum of BDF1 mice has been studied. The results revealed that using the conventional grain count halving (GCH) method it is possible to obtain an estimation of the generation time (Tc) of the proliferative BCC cells in the Paneth cell zone (PC-zone) of 18.8 +/- 0.74 h. This lies within the range obtained by the percent labelled mitoses (PLM) method, but is shorter than most values obtained by stathmokinetic methods. The present data show no evidence for a shortening of the cell cycle 3 days after irradiation (8 Gy) which is contrary to some earlier observations. Some reasons for this discrepancy are discussed. The comparatively high labelling index of the BCC allows a larger amount of data to be easily collected, compared with the PLM technique, and correction factors which take into account the complicated shape of the bottom of the crypt are not required.
CitationThe decay of autoradiographic grain number over crypt base columnar cells in murine ileum as a measure of their generation time. 1991, 24 (1):21-31 Cell Prolif.
- Crypt base columnar cells in ileum of BDF1 male mice--their numbers and some features of their proliferation.
- Authors: Chwalinski S, Potten CS
- Issue date: 1989 Dec
- Ileal crypt cell population kinetics after 40% small bowel resection. Autoradiographic studies in the rat.
- Authors: McDermott FT, Roudnew B
- Issue date: 1976 May
- The effect of transposition to jejunum on epithelial cell kinetics in an ileal segment.
- Authors: Rijke RP, Hanson WR, Plaisier HM
- Issue date: 1977 Jul
- Theoretical implications for cell migration through the crypt and the villus of labelling studies conducted at each position within the crypt.
- Authors: Tsubouchi S
- Issue date: 1983 Sep
- The differentiation and lineage development of goblet cells in the murine small intestinal crypt: experimental and modelling studies.
- Authors: Paulus U, Loeffler M, Zeidler J, Owen G, Potten CS
- Issue date: 1993 Oct