DNA methylation in specific cells of rat liver by N-nitrosodimethylamine and N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Section of Carcinogenesis, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDose-response curves for the O6-methylation of guanine in the hepatic DNA of Wistar and Sprague-Dawley rats were determined after administration of N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine (NMBzA) or N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). Similar results were obtained for both rat strains but methylation of hepatic DNA by NDMA was approximately 9-fold more efficient than with NMBzA when doses were compared on a molar basis. Comparison by immunohistochemical analysis of the distribution of nuclei containing O6-methylguanine within the liver lobules showed that both agents tended to alkylate cells close to the central veins at the lower doses. With increasing doses, the band width of alkylated cells around the central vein increased, spreading in the case of NDMA virtually into the portal zones, whereas with NMBzA the zone of alkylated nuclei reached little more than halfway from the central vein to the portal zone. These differences in the distribution of alkylated cells may explain the differing hepatic responses to these two nitrosamines.
CitationDNA methylation in specific cells of rat liver by N-nitrosodimethylamine and N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine. 1991, 12 (7):1325-9 Carcinogenesis
- Formation of O6-methylguanine in rat liver DNA by nitrosamines does not predict initiation of preneoplastic foci.
- Authors: Silinskas KC, Zucker PF, Archer MC
- Issue date: 1985 May
- Evidence that the hepatotoxicity of N-nitrosodimethylamine in the rat is unrelated to DNA methylation.
- Authors: Chin W, Lee VM, Archer MC
- Issue date: 1993 May-Jun
- Formation of O6-methylguanine in regenerating rat liver by N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine is not sufficient for initiation of preneoplastic foci.
- Authors: Silinskas KC, Zucker PF, Labuc GE, Archer MC
- Issue date: 1984 Apr
- Dosimetry of O6-methylguanine in rat DNA after low-dose, chronic exposure to N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). Implications for the mechanism of NDMA hepatocarcinogenesis.
- Authors: Souliotis VL, Chhabra S, Anderson LM, Kyrtopoulos SA
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Factors regulating activation and DNA alkylation by 4-(N-methyl-N-nitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone and nitrosodimethylamine in rat lung and isolated lung cells, and the relationship to carcinogenicity.
- Authors: Devereux TR, Anderson MW, Belinsky SA
- Issue date: 1988 Aug 1