The role of metallothionein, glutathione, glutathione S-transferases and DNA repair in resistance to platinum drugs in a series of L1210 cell lines made resistant to anticancer platinum agents.
AffiliationCRC Dept of Experimental Chemotherapy, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe glutathione contents, glutathione S-transferase activities and metallothionein contents have been measured in a series of L1210 cell lines which show decreased sensitivities to platinum drugs. Resistance to cisplatinum cisDDP, cis-diamminedichloroplatinum (II)] and chip [ioproplatin, cisdichloro-bis-isopropylamine-trans dihydroxy platinum IV] was found to correlate with glutathione levels but not metallothionein. Conversely, resistance to tetraplatin was found to be correlated with metallothionein but not glutathione levels. However, depletion of glutathione by buthionine 1-sulphoximine sensitizes all cell lines to the effects of cisDDP, chip and tetraplatin [d,1-trans-tetrachloro-1,2-diamino-cyclohexanplatinum (IV)]. Inhibition of DNA repair by aphidicholin or caffeine also partially restored sensitivity to these platinum drugs. These results indicate the complexity of the changes occurring upon the development of drug resistance.
CitationThe role of metallothionein, glutathione, glutathione S-transferases and DNA repair in resistance to platinum drugs in a series of L1210 cell lines made resistant to anticancer platinum agents. 1993, 45 (1):253-6 Biochem. Pharmacol.
- Evaluation of trans-tetrachloro-1,2-diaminocyclohexane platinum (IV) in murine leukemia L1210 resistant and sensitive to cis-diamminedichloroplatinum (II).
- Authors: Wilkoff LJ, Dulmadge EA, Trader MW, Harrison SD Jr, Griswold DP Jr
- Issue date: 1987
- The role of platinum uptake and glutathione levels in L1210 cells sensitive and resistant to cisplatin, tetraplatin or carboplatin.
- Authors: Nicolson MC, Orr RM, O'Neill CF, Harrap KR
- Issue date: 1992
- In vitro platinum drug chemosensitivity of human cervical squamous cell carcinoma cell lines with intrinsic and acquired resistance to cisplatin.
- Authors: Mellish KJ, Kelland LR, Harrap KR
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- Circumvention of acquired tetraplatin resistance in a human ovarian carcinoma cell line by a novel trans platinum complex, JM335 [trans ammine (cyclohexylamine) dichloro dihydroxo platinum (IV)].
- Authors: Mellish KJ, Barnard CF, Kelland LR, Harrap KR
- Issue date: 1994 Oct 1
- The relationships between glutathione, glutathione-S-transferase and cytotoxicity of platinum drugs and melphalan in eight human ovarian carcinoma cell lines.
- Authors: Mistry P, Kelland LR, Abel G, Sidhar S, Harrap KR
- Issue date: 1991 Aug